Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

"An installation operation took too long to execute. Restart your computer and run the installation again." I have tried many times and spent hours to install the software ..But nothing .Why Hp provides a software that can not be installed ? If they don`t want this older model printer to be used, they should not provide a software for it. . This is a very ugly, vicious  and dirty practice ..

The printer in question is : HP laserjetpro400M401n

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@majara wrote:

"An installation operation took too long to execute. Restart your computer and run the installation again." I have tried many times and spent hours to install the software ..But nothing .Why Hp provides a software that can not be installed ? If they don`t want this older model printer to be used, they should not provide a software for it. . This is a very ugly, vicious  and dirty practice ..

The printer in question is : HP laserjetpro400M401n

The problem may not be the software or it may be the wrong software.  Is this a new installation?  Has the printer been connected to the Modem / Router?  This needs to be done before installing any drivers or firmware upgrade.

If you are trying to install the printer driver for windows 10 / 11 you need the Full Feature software

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL42911/lj-104373-5/LJ-M401-full-solution-15190.exe

Download the above and try installing it.  If the same problem occurs then bring up the Windows Event Viewer and look under System and Applications for any errors.  Many errors can be ignored but not timeout or disk retry errors.

If you are trying to connect it to your network I believe the 401n is ethernet only.  Is that correct?

Once connected to the router any windows 10/11 can find it by searching.

You need to configure the printer for auto IP address or DHCP.

check the IP4 address of your computer and then get a printout and see if both the printer and the computer are on the same network.

Use the windows command prompt, copy and paste the following into the window 

ipconfig | find /i "ipv4"

should look like this

BeemerBiker_0-1711718143329.png

then look at your printer SEC report

BeemerBiker_2-1711718294670.png

both should have 192.168.1 to be able to connect to one another

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.