Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
PHOTOSMART C3180 ALL-IN-ONE
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

CHECK PRINT CARTRIDGE AND BLACK COPY LIGHTS BLINKING WITH AN E IN THE # OF COPIES WINDOW. USED PRINT AND SCAN DOCTOR. CHECKED CARTRIDGES, CLEANED EVERYTHING. FOUND UPDATED DRIVER AND SOFTWARE ON WEBSITE. TOOK OUT PRINTER SOFTWARE AND TRIED REINSTALLING BUT KEEP GETTING FATAL ERROR WHEN TRYING TO INSTALL THE "EXTRA" SOFTWARE. LIGHTS ARE STILL BLINKING. IT SEEMS NOTHING I TRY WORKS. WAS TOLD, IT IS PROBABLY THE CARTRIDGE CARRIAGE IS WORN OUT. ANY THOUGHTS? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @TINA60 - Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I see that you are facing issues while using the HP Photosmart printer. Appreciate all your efforts!

I found a wonderful document to help you fix this issue. Try the steps listed here: http://hp.care/2sLyH3H

Now, perform a power drain on the printer:

• Remove the cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now, try making a copy and check if the copy works. Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @TINA60 - Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I see that you are facing issues while using the HP Photosmart printer. Appreciate all your efforts!

I found a wonderful document to help you fix this issue. Try the steps listed here: http://hp.care/2sLyH3H

Now, perform a power drain on the printer:

• Remove the cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now, try making a copy and check if the copy works. Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi Dvortex. I needed to print, got frustrated and already had gone out and bought another printer a few hours before you emailed me. Thanks so much for your effort. I guess I should have waited but didn't know how long it would take for someone on the forum to help since I was new to it. Actually, you got back to me very quickly and I appreciate that! Everybody I talked to kept telling me it sounded like the carriage had gone and it wasn't worth repairing. It had been making some unusual clunking noises off and on when the carriage moved for a little while now. I was very happy with my last HP printer so I bought another.

I do have a question about the new one I purchased, if you don't mind. As all the new printers are now, it is wireless, but I don't have a cell phone or tablet or laptop. I have a desktop that runs Windows 7, USB setup. I didn't realize when I bought it I wouldn't have access to some stuff unless I set it up wireless. I'm not even sure the salesman knew this. I do have free Wi Fi with my internet service. Can I use that to hook it up wireless? Also, is there anyway I can go back and forth from USB  to wireless? 

HP Recommended

Greetings @TINA60, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @ Dvortex, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply, I understand that you are looking to know the procedure to convert the USB connection to wireless, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

If your computer is connected to the internet over wireless and if the full feature software for your printer is installed on your computer, please refer to this HP Article to automatically connect the printer to your wireless network. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Actually, that wasn't my question. Please bear with me as I am technically challenged and not really familiar with what wireless and WiFi is all about. I'm not even sure if what I'm asking makes sense or if I sound stupid but I will try to explain myself.

I have never used WiFi but I understand that I have free WiFi with my AT&T U-verse in my home. So, I was wondering if I could go wireless with the WiFi I have with my internet service in my home and a USB hooked up desktop computer and if so, would I still be able to print from my computer. If I wouldn't be able to print from my computer, could I go back and forth between WiFi and USB? I do not have a cell phone, notebook, tablet, or laptop. I only have an old desktop computer that is hooked up USB and this new wireless printer that the salesman said would work with a USB hooked up computer.

Maybe I should just leave it hooked up USB and do without what I don't have access to? But then how do I register the new laptop without going wireless? I can't figure that out either.  I AM SO LOST!!! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, if you have wireless are your home, you can configure the printer with your wireless network at home. (printer should be within the range of the wireless signal.)

If you do not have a notebook or a smartphone, recommend you use the printer with USB connection. As the wireless features required when you have a smartphone configured with the printer.

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.