Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet M283fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer used to work fine. But I had to reinstall the driver. When I install the driver for a wifi connection, the setup stays indefinitely on the "Installing Network Device..." page and then fails. Even if I manage to do the installation process (I have tried many many times) the printer is there but fails to print even the test page.

The printer is ok, I can install it with the USB interface, and when connected via USB everything is ok. The printer prints the e-documents received by mail. The same wifi driver installed from another PC is working just fine, and prints. The problem is the network driver on my pc.

After many attempts I realized that the problem is that the driver in the "Device Manager" register an event that says "Device not migrated" and the event details are: "Device SWD\PRINTENUM\<somecode> was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match".

I have tried all the suggestion I found on the web and in the forums for this issues, but nothing. I uninstall everything, even the drivers and queuìes in the Device Manager, reboot, try to install with "run as admin", try to install in safe mode, or using a different account on my pc. Hours and hours of retries: the problem is the same. The driver sometimes is installed (but not functioning), sometimes the printer is seen as "Microsoft IPP Class Driver", sometimes I find the printer in the "Hidden devices". But have not found a trick to do the installation correctly.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please right-click the Start button on your PC and select System.

Scroll down a bit, what is your current OS Version?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit

Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

It's the last version available. I've read that this issue can be due to some windows update, but... how to fix it?

HP Recommended

Having the same issue, but with HP t2500 plotter, and WIndows 10 2004.

(other Windows 10 machines in same office are working fine)

HP Recommended

Please try to check for additional updates, let's see if Version 20H2 resolves it.

Check for updates and see if you may get it there:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/update-windows-10-3c5ae7fc-9fb6-9af1-1984-b5e0412c556a

If your PC appears as up to date, you may also install it using the Microsoft Update Assistant:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once completing the update, Open the HP Laserjet Pro M282-M285 Software and select Connect a New printer, follow the steps on screen and check if you may see any difference.

If no difference is shown, click the Start menu and then the gear icon (Settings)

Select Apps and search for HP in the list search,

Uninstall the HP Laserjet Pro M282-M285 Basic Device Software.

On the printer - click the Setup icon and select Service, click on HP Laserjet Update, and then on Check for Updates Now, if any updates are available for the printer, be sure to install it by following the prompts on the screen.

Finally, reinstall the latest software below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers 

May you see any difference?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Great!

I forced the update to the last version of w10 with the Update Assistant, because the usual Update did not show any update available. The system updated to version 2009 (if I remember well). Now in System Info the version listed is 10.0.19042 Build 19042.

The printer was already ok just after the last reboot of the long update process.

Thank you very much

Pietro

HP Recommended

No, nein, niet, nada.

At the reboot after the Windows 10 update, the printer was still there, yes, but it was recognized as a generic "Microsoft IPP Class Driver", thus lacking all the HP functionalities. It only allowed me to do a basic print functions.

I removed the driver and reinstalled, but... no way. Same problem. In the events in Device Manager I find the usual "Device not migrated" error. Strangely, at the reboot just after the windows update a single message "Device migrated" has been registered on the event log, but it was for the fake IPP Class Driver.

I tried to reboot again many times, trying many combinations of removedriver-reboot-reinstall. Nothing. Now I am in a worse situation: within the "Software Devices" i find a Laserjet device and three (three!) other devices with the name corresponding to the code of the printer, the hex code starting with NPI. I tried to remove these devices, but they are always returnin back in the Software Device list.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.