Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi @leo79,

I believe the issue is that the files aren't being located properly from the temp folder.

Run any Windows updates.

Try these steps for installing a printer in Windows 8.1, a ' System cannot find file specified' message displays on the computer. It should also work for Windows 10.
Solution one: Rename the .dat file extensions in the Windows folder and reinstall the software.
Select the option that best describes your situation.
I have only one HP printer installed on the computer.
Follow these steps to rename the .dat file extensions in the Windows folder, and then download and reinstall the software.
Step 1: Rename the .dat files in the Windows folder
Follow these steps to rename the .dat files.
  1. Right-click the Start button  in the lower left corner of the screen, and then click Search.
  2. In the Search box, type %windir%, and then press Enter.
  3. Search for an hpoins*.dat file or hpwins*.dat file (where ' *' represents any number between 0 and 255).
  4. Right-click one of the .dat files, and then select Rename.
  5. Replace the .dat from the file name by typing .old in its place, and then press Enter. A ' If you change the file name extension, the file might become unstable. Are you sure you want to change it?' message displays. Click Yes.
  6. Repeat these steps for each hpoins*.dat or hpwins*.dat file.
  7. Close the window.
Step 2: Download and install the software from the HP website.
Follow these steps to download and install the software.
 Important: If you receive prompts to insert the disk during the installation process, make sure to click Cancel each time the prompt displays and continue the installation without inserting the disk.
  1. Turn on the printer.
  2. If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.
  3. If prompted, select a method to identify your printer model, and then follow the on-screen instructions to go to the download page.
  4. Click Download next to the full feature driver (recommended), or click Basic Drivers for other driver options.
  5. Use the HP Download and Install Assistant for a guided driver download and installation, or select Download only to manually open or run the driver file through your Internet browser’s download tools.
I have more than one HP printer installed on the computer.
Follow these steps to rename the .dat file extensions in the Windows folder, download and reinstall the software, and then return the renamed files back to .dat.
Step 1: Rename the .dat file extensions in the Windows folder
Follow these steps to rename the .dat file extensions.
  1. Right-click the Start button in the lower left corner of the screen, and then click Search.
  3. Search for an hpoins*.dat file or hpwins*.dat file (where ' *' represents any number between 0 and 255).
  4. Right-click one of the .dat files, and then select Rename.
  5. Replace the .dat file extension from the file name by typing .old in its place, and then press Enter. A If you change the file name extension, the file might become unstable. Are you sure you want to change it? message displays. Click Yes
  6. Repeat these steps for each hpoins*.dat or hpwins*.dat file.
  7. Close the window.
Step 2: Download and install the software from the HP website.
Follow these steps to download and install the software.
 Important: If you receive prompts to insert the disk during the installation process, make sure to click Cancel each time the prompt displays and continue the installation without inserting the disc.
  1. Turn on the printer.
  2. If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.
  3. If prompted, select a method to identify your printer model, and then follow the on-screen instructions to go to the download page.
  4. Click Download next to the full feature driver (recommended), or click Basic Drivers for other driver options.
  5. Use the HP Download and Install Assistant for a guided driver download and installation, or select Download only to manually open or run the driver file through your Internet browser’s download tools.
Step 3: Change the file extensions back to .dat
Follow these steps to change the file extensions.
  1. Right-click the Start button in the lower left corner of the screen, and then click Search.
  3. For the printer that you installed in the previous step, a new set of hpoins*.dat and hpoins*.old or hpwins*.dat and hpwins*.old files displays.

CAUTION:Do not rename the .old file extension. The .old file might be corrupt, and renaming the file might harm your computer.
  4. For each .old file that does not have a corresponding .dat file, right-click the .old file, and then select Rename.
    Figure 1: Example of an .old file that does not have a corresponding .dat file
  5. Replace the .old file extension from the file name by typing .dat in its place, and then press Enter.
  6. Close the window.
Solution two: Find and remove the .dat file using a .dat file remover utility
Follow these steps to find and remove the .dat file, and then install the printer software.
Step 1: Download, install, and run the .dat file remover utility
Follow these steps to download, install, and run the .dat file remover utility.
  1. Temporarily disable any anti-virus software that might be running on your computer.
    If you are unsure how to temporarily disable your computer's anti-virus software, contact the company that provides the software.
  2. Download the HP Installer DAT file utility from the HP website. The Save installdatfileclean.exe dialog box opens.
  3. Click Run. The utility finds and lists the .dat files that need to be removed.
  4. Click Delete Files to remove the .dat files.

NOTE:If no files are found, the notification "Cleanup completed. Please install your printer software again" displays.
  5. Re-enable your computer's anti-virus software.
Step 2: Download and install the printer software
Follow these steps to download and install the printer software.
  1. Turn on the printer.

If the issue persists, try the following:

Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%.

Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted.

Extract the downloaded software.

If the install window pops up, close it.

Go back to the temp folder again.

Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%.

You should have a folder called 7z...., this is the folder for the printer setup.

Copy and paste the folder to the Desktop.

Then open the folder and run the setup from there.

Please let me know if one of these suggestions resolved the issue. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi ,

Unfortunatelly, it didn't work.

I don't have hpoins*.dat file or hpwins*.dat  files in my windows dir.

I ran Download the HP Installer DAT file utility

It finished successfully.

Ran the driver installer once more - got stuck at the same spot.

Tried copying the driver installation files to the desktop -> fails.

Is there an installation log that I can view / produce ?

Thank you 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @leo79,

Here is a document for errors, in Step 2, you can view any errors in the Event Viewer: HP Printers - A 'Fatal Error' Displays During HP Software Installation (Windows).

Please keep me posted. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi @Gemini02

Here is the error that I get while trying to install the driver

Version=1
EventType=PnPDriverImportError
EventTime=130927025431938496
Consent=1
ReportIdentifier=d40ea29f-9162-11e5-9bd0-fcaa1483b3c6
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Architecture
Sig[0].Value=x64
Sig[1].Name=Win32 error
Sig[1].Value=00000002
Sig[2].Name=Inf name
Sig[2].Value=hpljp1005.INF
Sig[3].Name=Driver Package hash
Sig[3].Value=1884bc3cfbe8e8c9dda1c42ae0043f561e98528f
DynamicSig[1].Name=Версия ОС
DynamicSig[1].Value=10.0.10240.2.0.0.256.125
DynamicSig[2].Name=Код языка
DynamicSig[2].Value=1049
FriendlyEventName=Could not install driver software
ConsentKey=PnPDriverImportError
AppName=Driver software installation
AppPath=C:\Users\leon\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS5168\ProductInst.exe
ReportDescription=Windows could not copy all of the files needed to install this device driver software. This sometimes happens when the driver software was not designed for this version of Windows.
ApplicationIdentity=00000000000000000000000000000000

HP Recommended

Hi @leo79,

Try installing the printer by plug and playing the printer, instead of using the downloaded driver.

Leave the USB cable connected, delete the printer from the Device Manager.

Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers look for yellow exclamation mark, USB Printing Support  and Mass Storage Device or anything with a unknown device. Right click and uninstall the device. Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable and it should reinstall the printer driver automatically. How do I get into Windows Device Manager? If you are still getting the yellow exclamation mark, let me know.

If you still can't install the printer, remove the printer again from the Device Manager, then disconnect the USB cable.

Unlock Hidden Administrator Account and install the printer on this account:

1. Go to your Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD.
  2. CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'.
  3. Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter.
  4. Next, close CMD and restart your computer.
  5. When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  6. If your computer automatically logs into your account after restart than go to your start menu click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator account we just unlocked.
  7. Under the Administrator account, install the printer software.
  8. Test the printer.
  9.  To turn off the Admin account start back at step 1 and type in net user administrator /active:no.

Please let me know the outcome. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi 

Your proposed solution didn't work either.

I kept on looking online and found the solution by PawelG at

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers/HP-LaserJet-p1005-windows-8-driver/...

- I first unpacked the driver with winrar

- Then I edited the .inf file.  At the language settings LANGDIR variable only made sense for english and was pointing to nonexisting folders in other cases. So for my lanfuage I changed the settings to

LANGDIR         = "English"

If you now try adding the driver manually via control panel/printer and devices (I'm translating so the exact names can be different) , it will give you an error of no signature. To walk around that

- run windows in a mode that allows unsigned drivers and then install the driver manually

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/08/06/getting-older-drivers-to-work-in-windows-8/

after that the drivers work

As it seems the problem was due to the fact that my windows is not in English and the only Langdir the driver had was English

Anyway, Thank you for your efforts  🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot. It works nice.

HP Recommended

I've lost huge aboun of time with that bug and finally just did the same trick with WinRar and just copied English folder and replace the name to my language.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem, downloaded the drivers several times and the installer always got stuck halfway during install.

The convoluted solutions finally found in this thread (problems with German version of win 10) gave me the hint that the hp installers might be  LANGUAGE SPECIFIC. 

My win 10 is a Spanish version.

I went to the page https://support.hp.com/es-es/drivers/selfservice/closure/hp-laserjet-p1005-printer/3435674 to download the Spanish installer, and VOILA! installed it in a couple of minutes, printer recognized and ready to work.

I wish HP had put a warning about this on the main p1005 drivers page that only downloads the English version.

HP Recommended

Indeed the same here with Windows 10 Pro Greek version. When I tried the greek Driver version installer everything warked like a charm 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.