Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro M402n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all.

Bought this LaserJet Pro 402n brand new. Installed and worked great on a Windows 10 64-bit PC. After a week it is now showing the message 'Ready 2 Download'. From my research I understand that it needs a firmware update.

In the meanwhile I've had to replace the computer due to other hardware issues. Now I can't get the software to install again on the new computer (which has exactly the same hardware as the old PC), as the printer is not being recognised. The install CD or software only runs up to the point where it waits for the USB to be connected, but doesn't pick it up.

Anybody out there that can help me with this issue? Is there a different way to do the firmware update?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

As we have properly understood your issue can you please help us with the error message you ar getting ? So that we can asssit you better?

Nitin singh

HP Recommended

It showed the message "Ready 2 Download".

I have now managed to install the printer. Tried running the Firmware update program. Now when I switch the printer on, the LCD display is blank????

The firmware update program shows it has been successfully done, but now the printer LCD doesn't come on at all?

HP Recommended

Thank you for giving us the complete information.

Perform the following troubleshooting in the order listed:

1. Turn off the printer, with the communication cable still attached.

2. Clear the print spooler by doing the following:

1. Go to Start then choose Run .

2. Type net stop spooler , and press Enter .

3. The Windows XP spool directory is located at: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\PRINTER ; Delete every file within this folder.

4. Go to Start , then Run , and type net start spooler , and press Enter .

3. Manually delete and reinstall the driver:

To uninstall printer driver, refer to the following steps:

1. Open Printers folder and right click the driver that you wish to delete.

2. Within the menu, select Remove .

3. For the confirmation message displayed, click Yes .

4. Right click the Printer Folder and select Server Property .

5. Click Drivers tab, and select the driver for deletion. Click Remove .

6. For the confirmation message for the deletion, click Yes .

4. Install the printer driver manually as follows:

1. Select the Printers and Faxes option from the Start menu.

2. Click "Add a printer" then, on the resulting "Add Printer Wizard" dialog, click Next.

3. Ensure the option "Local printer attached to this computer" is selected. Untick the checkbox "Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer". Click Next.

4. Ensure that the option "Use the following port:" is selected then select the appropriate port from the drop-down choice box. When choosing port, use one of Virtual Printer Ports for USB to which is your printer connected to. Click Next.

5. Click the "Have Disk..." button. On the "Install From Disk" dialog, click Browse... then navigate to the appropriate directory to which the software/driver extracted.

6. Select an inf file then click the "Open" button. Click OK on the "Install From Disk" dialog.

The Add Printer Wizard will start to copy driver files to the PC.

5. Run the firmware upgrade with the printer turned off so that the printer accepts the firmware only after the entire file is spooled.

6. In the firmware update program's window, choose your printer (manually installed) and press Send Firmware button, and wait for the firmware to be spooled completely.

7. Power-on the printer.

8. During the printer firmware update, the liquid crystal display (LCD) on the printer control panel will display Printing Document and will change to Erasing . After a short while, the LCDdisplay will change to Programming . After a short while, the LCD will display complete The Ready LED on the printer will start flashing. The printer will automatically power off and then back on to reboot, and will make noises similar to that of a power-on operation.

Nitin singh guleria

HP Recommended

Thx for that.

Followed your advice to the letter. 

Now when I switch on the printer the LCD display panel doesn't come on?

HP Recommended

Switched it off. Moved it to a different USB port, now the display lights up again.

But still gives the Ready 2 download message.

Firmware update did not take place?

When I do the firmware update like you suggest, and then power on the printer, the display stays dead....so there is now way of knowing what's going on? 

HP Recommended
Had this same problem with a derivative model. It installed fine, but about a week after I configured it - the printer started acting unresponsive and displayed the Ready 2 Download message.
I reflashed the firmware successfully several times yet the problem kept cropping up. Nothing I tried seemed to work.

I ended up exchanging the printer at the retailer
Sent from somewhere in Arizona!!

If I have helped you, be sure to marking my answer as solved.
And feel free to send me some kudos!!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am also having the same issue.

the screen has gone to Ready to Download Status.

when I try to install the driver for the printer it gets stuck at the point where you have to connect the printer to computer and the computer does not recognise the printer.

Please any help is appreciated

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.