Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laser MFP 178nw

Hello, 

I have an MFP178nw. When I first got the printer, I updated the Admin password to something different from the original.

However, I forgot that password and now I cannot access the admin functions of my own printer.

Is there a way to reset the machine so that it reverts to its original password (i.e. the WPS Key)?

Just to be extra clear: I'm not talking about finding/using the original password. I'm talking about resetting a manually set password.

I tried the method given to me in a private message (going into Tech mode and doing NVRAM reset) but this did not wipe out the settings (in fact the printer still remembers the my WiFi password which, wouldn't be the case in a full reset scenario).

My machine is still under warranty but there's no option anywhere to call anyone about this problem and the chatbot simply dead-ends as it can't imagine anybody ever wanting to change the admin password back to its original/default.

Just to re-iterate why whatever reset instructions didn't work:

1. Print out Network Config Report
  2. Copy the Wi-Fi Direct Network Key
  3. Attempt WiFi Direct connection using the key
  4. Printer refuses to connect stating the password is wrong (its own bl**dy network key that it just printed!)

Any help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well a solution was found and happy to share it.

It didn't need any complex resetting or technical mode access or anything.

The way to clear a previously changed password, is simply to clear the network settings. 

Afterward you can use the WPS PIN number as password again.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Metrogn0me,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd like to help!

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue

I've sent you a private message with further instructions. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Well a solution was found and happy to share it.

It didn't need any complex resetting or technical mode access or anything.

The way to clear a previously changed password, is simply to clear the network settings. 

Afterward you can use the WPS PIN number as password again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.