Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

On PC, the transform option to manually move the photo around on the print preview is missing. I have tried updating my drivers for an error, only to gain printing back after undoing the changes it started to make by updating drivers through the HP driver installer software. Is the transform option only available on my phone? It is harder to estimate the appropriate size on the smaller screen. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@lunarhail 

Not sure.

Assuming there is not something odd going on due to your version of Windows, then HP Smart should work as expected.

There are also differences in printers.  You did not mention which model of printer you are using, so we must assume you know what you are about and that the printer supports the options needed.

True - HP Smart - Windows - Print is a different animal than its Mobile counterpart.

That said,  Import your saved photo into HP Smart so it can be manipulated / cropped / edited.

The "Import" feature in Scan can be used to open the saved file.

After the edits are complete > select Done > continue with the desired Next steps (Print, Save, Share...)

Side Note:  HP Smart Mobile also includes the Source = Import feature

Open HP Smart -Windows

Select Scan

Set Presets to Photo

Select to Import a photo you have saved on your device (in a folder)

In the case of "manual resize", use Crop > Custom

The edges can be moved in or the object can be centered / moved within the frame.

Example - HP Smart - Scan / Import / Edit Set

HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Edit_Image_Set_10HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Edit_Image_Set_10

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

Open

Product Home

Enter the device type and model name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

First off, sorry I forgot to mention my printer is a 9010 all-in-one inkjet and that my windows 10 is up to date each time I've used it. I have tried the two options from the drop down menu "crop" and "shrink to size" to which the crop option cuts off parts of the picture or even photo collage. I use HP smart for the printing and preview process because using the printer itself just tells me to use the app.  Thank you for the reply, I will try the import option.

HP Recommended

@lunarhail 

You are welcome.

If you have not done so, install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software.

The full driver printer software provides support and access to the full range of printer features.

The full driver printer software supports printing from other software and programs.

Video

HP OfficeJet 9010 | 9015 | 9018 | 9019 : Download & Install HP Full featured software 

or

Download and Save - Installation Package

HP Easy Start Printer Setup Software 

Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

Preparation

• If using VPN, shut it off to install software.  NOTE >> If you don’t know what this is, you are not using a VPN – ignore this part.

• If the printer software is still / already installed, Uninstall the printer software  from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Restart the computer and log in – Reference Uninstall HP printer software and drivers

After the printer software is uninstalled, check that the printer is not still lurking in Devices and Printers

If (the printer is) listed, Right-Click on the printer and "Remove" > Restart the computer and sign in.

• Reminder:  If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software.  Later... Connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation procedure).

Installation

• Download and Save the Full Feature Software installation package or the Easy Start Software
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • If using Easy Start > When asked, opt for "Full Driver" (exact wording might vary).
  • If using Easy Start > Skip any extra software / offers you do not want (wording varies).
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preparation > Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Next,

Optional

Install a full photo editing / printing software to provide access to the settings you want.

Example

Irfanview > Brilliant Free Photo Viewing, Editing, and Print Software

Irfanview provides an exceptional software experience that can be used for a variety of scan and print tasks, including the “Mirror” or horizontal flip function plus several other options not found elsewhere.

• Create a Restore Point (optional, recommended)
  • Download the appropriate version (32bit or 64bit) of the program from the Website and install the program
  • Additional information at the website, including:  FAQ

NOTES

• Both 32bit and 64bit versions for Windows are available.
  • Irfanview is also available as an Windows 10 Application from the Microsoft Store

For example,

Irfanview 64bit version – Information and Download

Software and All Plugins for 64bit version:  https://www.fosshub.com/IrfanView.html

Includes Plugin for creating Multiple-page PDF files for images (Poster or large paper printing)

Includes access (where available) to Scan with HP Twain > Adjust settings > Save

How to find Help within the Irfanview software

Once installed, open the software > tab Help

Example - Irfanview > Open File > Image > Resize / Resample

Irfanview_Print_Image_Resize_Resample_1Irfanview_Print_Image_Resize_Resample_1

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.