Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro MFP M28a
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello together, 

on my new PC is installed Windows 11.

My multifunction printer doesn't print anymore, only scanning and copying are possible.

With my old PC and Windows 10 I didn't have any problem.

Do you know how to solve this issue?

Thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @MP711,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are unable to print.

To assist better -

• Are you able to make copies using the printer?
  • What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or device?
  • Are you receiving any error messages when initiating a print job?

Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi @Jay_G24,

- I'm able to copy

- the printer is not set at all due to the fact that the driver is not installed. With all the applications the printer is not visualized as possible print option

- the same as above.

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

Here is a link to download the drivers and set up the printer.

Link -https://support.hp.com/lv-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m28-m31-printer-series/1664708...

Hope this helps!

Let me know how this goes!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I already downloaded and installed either the HP smart or the printer full software version but unfortunately they didn't work.

HP Recommended

Add a USB-connected printer to Windows

Set up a USB printer connection in Windows without installing any additional drivers.

1. Search Windows for and open Change device installation settings, and then make sure Yes (recommended) is selected.

Allowing Windows to download manufacturer drivers

2. Make sure an open USB port  is available on your computer. Do not connect the printer to a USB hub or docking station as the printer might not receive enough power to operate properly.

3. Turn on the printer, and then connect the USB cable to the printer and to the computer port.

4. If a Found new hardware message displays, follow any prompts to install the printer.

• If you can print, the driver installed successfully.

• If you cannot print, continue with these steps to add the printer in Windows settings.

5. In Windows, search for and open Add a printer or scanner.

6. Click Add a printer or scanner, and then wait for Windows to locate available printers.

• If your printer is found, click it, and then click Add device to complete the driver installation.

• If your printer is not found, continue with these steps.

7. Click The printer that I want isn't listed.

Opening options when the printer is not listed

8. In the Find a printer by other options window, select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings, and then click Next.

9. In the Choose a printer port window, select Use an existing port, select USB001: (Virtual printer port for USB) from the drop-down menu, and then click Next.

10. Follow the instructions to install the driver for your printer model.

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted

HP Recommended

Hi,

problem solved after having reinstalled Windows 11.

HP Recommended

That's great! Happy to hear that.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.