Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Photo 7855
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Is there a simple setting I need to change?  I can't find one.  It used to print correctly.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Anderson1957 

??

What are you printing?

Which software / application are you using to view and submit the job to the printer?

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY Photo 7855 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Reminder:  The Community is not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

In this particular case it was a tax form off the IL Dept of Revenue website.  I just printed a few of my documents on Word and they look ok.  Thanks for the link you sent.  I hadn't thought to check YouTube videos.  They may help me with a future problem.  I just tried printing off a page from our town newsletter. On my 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, it refuses to use 2 inches in on the right side of the page and 2 up from the bottom.  It must be a simple setting but where is it?  😉

HP Recommended

@Anderson1957 

Edits - Update - Add "Print as Image" information

So, I'm not sure.

Following are random thoughts on the subject of "why does it print this way?"

Tax forms can be tricky as can other forms and files you get from the 'net and / or download from a website.

If you can get the form into a PDF format, you can see what PDF thinks of the form content.

Margins in a PDF file, generally at least, are adopted from the original document format.

For example, if the original format is Word and the document is Exported to PDF, the layout, margins, etc., are generally formatted into the PDF file content.

That said, PDF printing forces a margin around the document to keep it inside the printable area.

You can control this to some extent using "Actual size" or "Shrink to Fit" or perhaps some custom percentage of 100%.

Example

Manage Print Output with Print Preview_PDF_1FManage Print Output with Print Preview_PDF_1F

Printing content can provide odd results if the content in the document cannot be translated correctly by the printer.

Print a PDF file as an image to eliminate odd translation issues.

PDF - Print as Image

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

• HINT:  Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software
  • Adobe Reader DC software should be installed even if you do not open / view / print PDF files directly from the software.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Learn & Support

If the file will not print due to unusual content (odd fonts, color schemes, tables, other oddities), print the file as an Image.  Image printing does not require the printer software to translate file content.

1. Open the offending document in Adobe Reader DC
  1. Click Print icon > Set other options on the menu > Click Advanced button
  1. Set the printer select the colors (Optional)
  2. Select Print the PDF file as an image

==================================================================

What else?

IF the original Word document is formatted for A4 / Letter paper, it might be beneficial to check the following in Word settings:

When printing directly from within Word

Setup:

Word > FileOptions > Advanced

In Section Print (about 2/3 of the way down)

UNCHECK "Scale content for A4 or 8.5 x 11" paper sizes

Click OK to save changes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What if of this answers the dilemma with the Newsletter?

OK - this next part is pretty obscure and not likely the problem.

That said, it is another place to consider why things print off set or behave in other weird ways when printed.

Depending on the original format, the page might be set for Booklet printing and / or have gutters assigned for other reasons.

If the print page size is too small, AND the print is in Booklet format, things tend to shift around.

For example, in the Word document - check the gutter settings.

Print_Preview_Gutters_DOCX_3Print_Preview_Gutters_DOCX_3

For those reading:

So many HP Support Videos!

HP Support - YouTube Channel

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for all this information.  I will ask my daughter to try some of these options the next time she comes over. 

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Anderson1957 

You are welcome.

I am sorry the answer is not more precise.

I'm not sure what is causing the odd results.

Stay Safe!

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.