Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a new HP Laptop and am trying to connect my HP Deskjet 6940. I can find the printer in the add printer wizard, but I can't find a full featured driver for it. The support web page says use the basic driver but I don't see a driver named "basic" and it is not clear what generic one would work with a 6940. Which driver should i use?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community @craigbr

This is all I could find:

HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879

REO

HP Recommended

I had already tried that page and unfortunately that page is useless for my printer. It is obviously a generic page and is nothing specific for the HP Deskjet 6940. That printer does not show up in the list of printer drivers even after hitting "Windows Update". I need to know which driver would work with my HP Deskjet 6940. There used to be a specific driver for it since another of our Windows 10 laptops has that driver installed.

HP Recommended

I had already tried that page and unfortunately that page is useless for my printer. It is obviously a generic page and has nothing specific for the HP Deskjet 6940. My printer does not show up in the list of printer drivers even after hitting "Windows Update". I need to know which driver would work with my HP Deskjet 6940. There used to be a specific driver for it since another of our Windows 10 laptops has that driver installed. The old driver doesn't show up on 123,hp.com, either.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Using Microsoft Internet Explorer manually download the drivers from the Microsoft Update Catalog:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2009/07/4188_bacd1413e93b4a6362d9a2c...

Download and extract the update manually, then follow the Add Printer wizard and click Have Disk upon the printers list.

Browse the extracted driver which includes the HP Deskjet 6940 printer.

Detailed information can be found on below support document from Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/323166/how-to-download-updates-that-include-drivers-and-hot...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same problem as the person above.

I followed the link and arrived at a page with 271 references to DeskJet 6940. The "3rd result" points to a Windows 7 and 8 driver, not a Windows 10 in the comments. Can you be more specific than "the 3rd result" by providing the exact name for the one to download. I did download 2 Windows 10, including the most recent listed (from 9/16/2015, 13.2MB), but none provides any drivers according to the add printer wizard.

Would be really good for everyone on this forum if you can provide more detailed information/printscreens.

Best regards

FJ

HP Recommended

Had the same problem, and worked around it. Since this page was one of the first that showed up on my search for help, I thought I'd update it for any future searchers.

When installing with the printer on the network, Windows was unable to find the appropriate driver, and my attempts to download and install it manually from Microsoft did not end in success.

In my case, when I attached the printer to my computer using USB, Windows did find and install the correct driver. Then, I disconnected the USB cable and reattempted to install it as a network printer. The "add printer" wizard asked if I wanted to keep using the already installed driver. I said "yes" and all was right with the world.

Your mileage may vary, but that worked for me.

HP Recommended

HP Deskjet 6600 series works fine.

HP Recommended

Just had to do this again today for a different Windows 10 box. Here are the steps that I used (thanks to  for the right link:

Download the cab file from 

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2009/07/4188_bacd1413e93b4a6362d9a2c...

Open a command shell. Go to your Downloads directory, make a directory to hold the extracted cab file, then extract it using the below commands:

cd /users/<your-user>/Downloads
mkdir drivers

expand 4188_bacd1413e93b4a6362d9a2ca653c869f1c02f6f7.cab -f:* drivers

Then try to add the printer. When it gets to the part where you add the driver, select "Have Disk" and browse to:
/users/<your-user>/Downloads/drivers and select the prnhp0001.Inf file in that directory. Continue on and the right driver will be selected.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.