Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows Vista

I would like some help or advice regarding my HP Deskjet printers.  I have a newer printer with a Windows 10 system, but for various reasons I like to keep going another computer and printer with different programs.  My older computer is Windows Vista.  It works fine, but lately the Deskjet 4180 has been malfunctioning.  It keeps telling me that my cartridges are faulty.  They aren't faulty; I've replaced them with new ones from HP and I keep getting the same message.  I've tried cleaning the contacts inside the printer and on the back of the cartridges with a cloth, but the contacts weren't dirty and it doesn't do any good.  So the 4180 must have an error in its software or hardware.  Deleting and the reloading the printer with the original setup disk does no good.  I really like the software on the 4180, and would like to keep using it.  So my options are: (1) Find a place that can repair old 4180 printers with this problem (within reasonable driving distance of my home); (2) Find a used 4180 online somewhere and buy it; (3) Use another Vista-compatible printer with similar capacities.  In fact, I have a Deskjet 4280 which I know works on Vista (it was hooked up to my other Vista computer, now defunct), and has almost exactly the same capacities, but I can't hook it up to the desired Vista computer because I have lost the Setup disk for the 4280.  I would gladly pay for a used 4280 Setup disk, but I can't find one online on Ebay etc.  I have thought of trying to download the drivers, but I believe that HP has stopped all support for Vista-related products and I doubt a Windows 7 driver would work.  If I could find some kindly employee at HP Canada (or HP USA for that matter) who could slip me the download for the 4280 drivers for Vista (I know they must have the drivers somewhere, even if they say they haven't), or if I could find some computer user out there who knows how to obtain a safe download (some sites out there do offer free downloads of old drivers, and some of them have a good reputation for safe downloads), I would try that.  If anyone has any ideas about how to get either a 4180 or 4280 working with my Vista system, please send them along.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @libertysystems 

Try the driver download from the next link:

For Deskjet F4180 try the next one:

* Click on YES button  to say thanks, 

* Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered.

Best regards, 

ferRX.

dodecaedron

@ferRX / I am a volunteer posting answers on my own time.
HP Recommended

Thanks very much for giving me these links!  Before I click on either of them, though, can you tell me the name of the website or company I would be connecting to?  I'm always nervous about simply clicking on a link, without knowing who is responsible for it.  Also, are these downloads free or is there a charge?

HP Recommended

Hi @libertysystems ,

Name of company: Amazon Drive.

Download: is free.

* Click on YES button  to say thanks, 

* Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered.

Best regards, 

ferRX.

dodecaedron

@ferRX / I am a volunteer posting answers on my own time.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.