Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Designjet 1050 C Plus
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and older

I recentley upgraded my servers and opted to install Windows Server 2012 R2. The problem is my perfectly good HP Designjet 1050 C Plus will not connect due a a driver issue. Since HP does not support the 1050 C anymore I cannot find a driver for it. The ;ast one wqas in 2004. I guess they only suport drivers for one year after the equipment was manufactured. I have utilized HP printers and products for decades. I still have an HP 35 Calculator that works and several HP printers, but the HP 1050 C is still in good working order but without a driver it becomes a huge papeweight. Surely there is someone out there that has the answer to this problem. I understand HP is in business to sell more plotters but how about a little support for the small businessman that has to utilize equipment as long as possible and doesn't buy a new one every two years?

bat3987 - Small Business Owner

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer is only supported on Windows Server 2008 or earlier server operating system, it is incompatible with MS Server 2012.

You may try installing a Server 2008 driver using the Add Printer Wizard.

For a 64 bit server try using below drivers:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL13401/pl-37410-7/hpdj1000wx64glen.exe

Or below for a 32-bit OS:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL7173/pl-21744-6/hpdj1050umpsx86en.exe

Follow below steps to install the driver using the Add Printer wizard:

1. Double click on the file. This will extract all the driver files into a directory on your hard drive. Select the name of the folder where the files will be extracted (for example c:\designjet)
  2. Open the Printers Window Click Start-Settings-Printers.
  3. Click Add New Printer
  4. Click the Printer that I want isn't listed
  5. Click Add a local printer or a network printer with manual settings.
  6. Follow the instructions of the Add Printer Wizard by selecting the relevant port.
  7. When a printer listing box appears, click on Have Disk.
  8. Another box named Install from Disk appears.
  9. Click Browse to locate the expanded files directory (i.e., c:\designjet).
  10. Click on the file ending with .inf.
  11. Click Open and then Ok and let files install.

Try printing using the added print queue and check.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer is only supported on Windows Server 2008 or earlier server operating system, it is incompatible with MS Server 2012.

You may try installing a Server 2008 driver using the Add Printer Wizard.

For a 64 bit server try using below drivers:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL13401/pl-37410-7/hpdj1000wx64glen.exe

Or below for a 32-bit OS:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL7173/pl-21744-6/hpdj1050umpsx86en.exe

Follow below steps to install the driver using the Add Printer wizard:

1. Double click on the file. This will extract all the driver files into a directory on your hard drive. Select the name of the folder where the files will be extracted (for example c:\designjet)
  2. Open the Printers Window Click Start-Settings-Printers.
  3. Click Add New Printer
  4. Click the Printer that I want isn't listed
  5. Click Add a local printer or a network printer with manual settings.
  6. Follow the instructions of the Add Printer Wizard by selecting the relevant port.
  7. When a printer listing box appears, click on Have Disk.
  8. Another box named Install from Disk appears.
  9. Click Browse to locate the expanded files directory (i.e., c:\designjet).
  10. Click on the file ending with .inf.
  11. Click Open and then Ok and let files install.

Try printing using the added print queue and check.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! Kudos. It worked and has extended the life of a great piece of equipment. The solution you offered worked and I have utilized the plotter this morning. Even the "Print Test" was perfect. I used the 64-bit solution. As you pointed out, it is compatible with Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2.

I installed the driver on our MWS 2012 R2 Server and then the Workstations were able to find it when utilizing the Contol Panel\Devices and Printers\Add A Printer and selecting the Server \\server-name\printer-name. For my installation the file was "HP DesignJet 1055CM by HP"

Again, thanks for the awesome support! Made my day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.