Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have been struggling to re-gain admin access to my printer even after a semi-full reset.

My HP Network Configuration Page print out does not contain admin username & password and yet the EWS requires me to enter my password.

image.png

• Tried three different browsers with Username set to admin and Password to none
  • Tried setting up my printer via HP Smart
  • Also attempted to access features via HP Printer Assistant

Any idea what I can try next?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @fiftyfiftyfive,

I'd like to help!

We can perform a factory defaults on the printer to resolve the issue

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

@Jay_G24 wrote:

Hi @fiftyfiftyfive,

I'd like to help!

We can perform a factory defaults on the printer to resolve the issue

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

Thank you for your response, but I have already done a semi-full reset (please see OP).

Just to verify, I did it again (in accordance with your PM). What steps should I take next? The printer is currently off after a semi-full reset.

HP Recommended

I did read your post, but the only way to override the admin password is a semi-full reset. 

But, I wasn't sure if the reset was successful.

After the reset, Turn the printer on, try connecting it to the network.

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Ah I see. Unfortunately it was successful but it did not reset the admin password. 

Is there recommended software I should use after the reset? Or some specific steps? 

HP Recommended

Not really, the drivers available on HP website should work.

If the issue persists, I’d recommend you contact HP Phone Support in your region for assistance

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web form and proceed further.

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, as before, this did not work. Here is what happens during initial set up after a reset:

fiftyfiftyfive_0-1617734661097.png

I will contact support, as you've suggested, and will update this thread with resolution (hopefully).

HP Recommended

Sounds good 🙂

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Unfortunately HP Phone Support could not solve this problem either. 

They remoted into two different computers, both connected to this printer, and could not bypass the password.  This right here is a $20 service, but their waived the fee.

Then they referred me to their Smart Friend Program where they have requested a $50 fee. This one I declined since that's about the price of a replacement printer on a used market. 

Any other ideas? 🙂 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.