Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
M28W
Linux

I have a brand new M28W printer. The model is not relevant here. There's a cd with it for Mac and Windows. As a Linux user, I couldn't install the software even using wine. I couldn't even "activate" the wifi capability without using a Windows computer. Once it was initialized my Linux sees it and all is good but I shouldn't need a Windows or Mac to simply initialize it so I can run it wirelessly. Linux is very popular now. It's not a new thing. Supply a deb and an rpm and perhaps the Arch version of the software also so we Linux users can at least get the printer going. Yes I have hplip installed so I can use it with a cable but it doesn't help for wireless. In fact, Linux doesn't need drivers if the printer is initialized. Once the printer is on the network, Linux will see it if it's on the same network.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

If I may ask, why not just use cups instead? I was able to wirelessly print from my printer when using it without any hassle. All you need to do is to install cups, enable it through the terminal and go onto its site.

My Setup:
HP Notebook: HP 14-dk0028wm
Current Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.