Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank 7605
Linux

I have installed a new HP Smart Tank 7605 printer for eco reasons but I cannot see a Draft (or Fastdraft) print option in printer settings in EWS or HP Device Manager (HPLIP) - only Normal, Best, Photo.

Previous OfficeJet printers all had Draft mode, so why has it been removed from the new eco printer when the printer spec quotes print speed in Draft mode? Or am I missing something?

Any thoughts welcome.

T am running HPLIP 3.23.12-lp155.267.1 on OpenSuse LEAP 15.5 64bit.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @branestawm,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're looking to enable a "Draft" or "Fastdraft" print option on your new HP Smart Tank 7605 printer for quicker, more economical printing. Sometimes these options can be found under different names or in different locations depending on the printer model and software version. Here are a few steps you can try.

Check Printing Preferences

1. Windows:
    • Open the document you want to print.
    • Go to "File" > "Print".
    • In the Print dialog, click on "Preferences" or "Properties".
    • Look for a "Quality" or "Print Quality" option. Sometimes the Draft mode is found here.
  2. Mac:
    • Open the document.
    • Click "File" > "Print".
    • In the Print dialog, look for "Presets" or "Print Settings".
    • Check if there's a setting for "Draft" or "Fast/Economical Printing".

Printer Web Interface (EWS)

1. Open a web browser and enter the printer's IP address in the address bar. This should open the Embedded Web Server (EWS) for your printer.
  2. Navigate to the "Settings" or "Print Settings" section.
  3. Look for a "Quality" or "Print Quality" option. Sometimes Draft mode settings are here.

HP Smart App

If you're using the HP Smart App:

1. Open the app and select your printer.
  2. Look for "Print Quality" or "Settings" within the app.
  3. You might find a "Draft" or "Economode" option here.

HPLIP Configuration (HPLIP Toolbox)

Since you're using HPLIP, you can also check the HPLIP Toolbox:

1. Open the HPLIP Toolbox.
  2. Navigate to your printer and look for "Print Quality" or "Settings".
  3. If there's a "Draft" mode, it should be listed here.

Alternative Approach

If Draft mode is still not available, you can manually adjust settings to achieve a similar effect:

• Choose "Normal" or "Fast" mode if available.
  • Use a lower DPI (dots per inch) setting.
  • Print in grayscale instead of color.
  • Use "Economical" or "Ink Saving" modes if available.

These steps might not replicate Draft mode exactly, but they can help conserve ink and print more quickly for everyday documents.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Alden4,

Thank you for your response. Yes, you have interpreted my issue correctly.

1. As stated in my OP, I am using Linux, so the recommendations for Windows & Mac OS do not help.

2. EWS in Samsung Internet Explorer on my Android 14 mobile/cell does not show Draft or Fastdraft options in Print Settings - only Normal, Best or Photo as per my OP. EWS is too flaky to use in Firefox (and Opera) on my my Linux box - it can't make up its mind whether I am logged in or not (yes, cookies are allowed).

3. I haven't installed HP Smart app on my mobile/cell as I don't print from it.

4. HPLIP aka HP Device Manager in Linux does not show Draft or Fastdraft options in Print Settings - only Normal, Best or Photo as per my OP.

5. Your "Alternative Approach" references options that do not exist in the driver eg "Economical" mode or DPI settings.

Inspecting the Linux CUPS .ppd file for HP Smart Tank 7600 series shows the absence of Draft mode. So really my question is why is Draft mode absent from the Linux CUPS driver for this 'eco' printer?

Is Draft mode also absent from the MS Windows driver?

If Draft mode is not available, why are print speeds for HP Smart Tank 7600 series quoted for Draft mode in the printer spec?

HP Recommended

Hi @branestawm,

Thank you for your response, 

HP Smart Tank 7605 is known for its advanced printing features, but it seems like the draft print option might not be available on Linux OS due to differences in driver support. However, you can try the following steps to check if there are any alternatives or workarounds.

• Check Printer Settings: Sometimes, the draft print option might not be visible directly in the print dialog but could be available within the printer settings. You can access printer settings through the CUPS interface or the HP Device Manager if available for Linux.
  • Use Generic Drivers: If HP provides generic printer drivers for Linux, try using those instead of specific drivers for HP Smart Tank 7605. While you might lose some advanced features, it could give you access to basic printing options like draft mode.

I hope this helps.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Alden 4,

Thank you for your response.

I have searched very thoroughly through Print Settings in Linux CUPS interface and the HP Device Manager without finding mention of Draft mode.

I will try other generic drivers as you suggest. I will also look to see if missing Draft mode has been reported as a bug in the HPLIP driver.

It would be helpful to know if the MS Windows driver for HP Smart Tank 7605 provides Draft mode???

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @branestawm,

Thank you for your response, 

HP Smart Tank 7605 is a printer model that supports multiple print modes, including Draft mode. However, whether Draft mode is available depends on the specific driver and software provided by HP for Windows. To confirm if the Windows driver for the HP Smart Tank 7605 offers Draft mode, you can.

1. Visit the official HP website and navigate to the support section.
  2. Enter your printer model number (HP Smart Tank 7605) to find the drivers and software available for download.
  3. Review the specifications or documentation provided with the driver/software to see if Draft mode is listed as one of the available print modes.

Additionally, you can install the driver/software on your Windows system and explore the printing settings to see if Draft mode is available among the options provided. If it's not immediately visible, it might be accessible through advanced settings or customization options within the printer driver interface.

I hope this helps.

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.