Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I received the below email from HP stating that the firmware on my printer will soon be obsolete.
It advises to update the printer firmware to continue using HP Instant Ink and instructs how to do so.

Your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer is using a firmware version that will soon be obsolete. By updating it for free today, you will ensure that your printer continues operating securely and your HP Instant Ink service continues without disruption.
To update the printer using the front panel, make sure the printer is connected to Wi-Fi, then:
On the printer control panel display, from the Home screen, touch the HP ePrint icon (located at the bottom-left corner of the screen).
Touch the Settings icon.
Touch Printer Update.
Touch Check for Update Now.
Follow the on-screen instructions. Your printer will let you know the update was successful.
You must update your firmware by 14 November 2020

‌If you do not update your firmware by the deadline above, you will lose the ability to print with Instant Ink subscription cartridges, even if they are already in your printer. We apologize that we will have to close your HP Instant Ink account after 14 November 2020 if the firmware is not updated.
If you encounter problems, contact HP Instant Ink Support for free assistance with connecting to Wi-Fi or updating your firmware. If you have multiple printers, this message only applies to the printer indicated above.
We value you as a customer and look forward to continuing to serve you!

On following the instructions, the message below appears on my printer telling me it IS up-to-date:
'Your printer has the most current updates installed. There are no new updates available at this time.'

I then downloaded the HP Firmware updater to try installing through my computer. The error message reads:
'Cannot update the device. This firmware updater does not contain upgrades for your device.'

The firmware version that is installed is MKM1FN2025AR.

If my firmware is already up-to-date why did I receive the email asking to update?
If it needs updating how can do this given that to different methods have failed?

Come on HP. Please be more accessible and user friendly.
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@DorsetDesigner1, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If the printer has the updates already installed you do not have to worry. The email is only if you don't have the updates installed. It would have been sent to everyone with the HP Envy 4500 Printer.

If you have any concerns with your account or the printer we are always here to help you 🙂

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I received he same message:

Your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer is using a firmware version that will soon be obsolete. 

HP obviously doesn't know what  my firmware version is, as it is up to date, so why send a

stupid threatening email like that.

HP Recommended

Sorry, forgot the threatening part of the email:

You must update your firmware by 14 November 2020

‌If you do not update your firmware by the deadline above, you will lose the ability to print with Instant Ink subscription cartridges, even if they are already in your printer. We apologize that we will have to close your HP Instant Ink account after 14 November 2020 if the firmware is not updated.

HP Recommended

@I1MeAgain, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand your concern, please reach out to the HP Support in your region for further course of action.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP could have sent an email along the lines of.......

We have been unable to contact your printer. it may be switched off or it may have lost its' internet conection so we were unable to establish your printer status. Please connect your printer and make sure you have the latest firmware update before Nov 14th or the printer will lose the ability to print using Instant Ink cartridges. 

Update Instructions follow ......

Did the employee who sent the email have with poor English?

HP Recommended

@I1MeAgain

That was an automated email sent in bulk to all the Instant Ink customers. You may ignore it if the printer firmware is up to date.

Keep us posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.