Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi rpgman,

Glad that it helps you. Happy printing...

Although I am HP Employee andI am speaking for myself
>> "Marking" this as RESOLVE, If my post help RESOLVE your issue and help others
>> Click THUMB UP icon if you appreciate the "REPLY"
HP Recommended

I got mine to work by telling windows to let me pick a driver from a list and choosing the Photosmart 8700 series driver included with my copy of W Vista 64.

HP Recommended

Good one, CircleD.

it should work the same in more efficient way.

>> "Marking" this as RESOLVE, If my post help RESOLVE your issue and help others
HP Recommended

So how  do you go about "telling windows to let me pick a driver from a list." I'm trying to make the whole Vista 64-bit thing work, and this one step has me confuzzled.

HP Recommended
When the window comes up choose the "Browse My Computer for Driver Software". Then on the next page choose "Let Me Pick From A List of Device Drivers On My Computer" . It should bring up a list of hardware types and choose "Printer". Then choose the brand (in this case HP) and go down the list and choose the "Photosmart 8700 series" driver and it should install and work even though it says Photosmart.
HP Recommended

"When the window comes up" --- what window? --- There is an assumption that I know how to get to "the window" --- I have no idea what you're talking about - I'm sorry. 

What do I have to do to get to "the window" so I can choose "Browse My Computer for Driver Software" --- ??? 

FYI - When I insert the installation disc, it won't let me go anywhere - it tells me it doesn't support my system.

I don't mean to be dense, but I guess I am. I'm sorry. 

HP Recommended

Hi LocalMom,

you may follow below step by step instruction. Hope this help...

Printing

Step 1: Obtain printer IP (assuming you have connected the printer to your local network - WiFi connection)

Connect printer to network >> Go to Ethernet summary >> IP address (eg 15.213.217.101)

STep 2: Manually install window available driver

Go to "Start" button >>

Devices and Printers >>

Add Printer >>

Add local printer >>

"Create a new port" (select >> Standard TCP\IP port) >>

"Hostname or IP address" key your printer IP address eg 15.213.217.101 >>

Choose driver from manufacturer "HP" >> choose "HP Photosmart 8700 Series >>

ScreenHunter_49 Nov. 14 10.19.jpg

next to key in printer name >>

Do not share this printer >>

Step 3: Confirm setup with test page

If test page able to be printed, it means setup successful

Scanning

Open any web browser, key in the printer IP address as above eg 15.213.217.101

Go to Scan and perform "Scan to Computer" here.

ScreenHunter_51 Nov. 14 10.21.jpg

HP Recommended

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This very detailed guide was exactly what I needed! It did take a few attempts to get the WiFi connection recognized, and to click the right boxes, but I got it! 

I now have a printer connected to my Vista 64-bit OS Computer!

Thank you for your assistance!

HP Recommended

Our pleasure able to help you in all printing aspects.

Happy printing...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.