Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I have ben trying to get my 8620 printing again for a few days without success, so I hope you can help. I think it had to do with me updating to Win 11 and then reverting to Win 10the same day. I had not printed anything after doing the restore to Win10 and when I finally tried, it would not print. I have tried numerous times to remove the drivers and HP Smart software and re-installing it. I finally decided to do things methodically make notes and post them here. I hope this will lead to a resolution. Please forgive the length of this post, I just wanted to show what has already been tried. .

First of all : I CAN print to the 8620 from another Win10 computer on the same WiFi network.

Now here are my 9 notes:

1. I deleted all HP Printer software vid Window ->Settings->Applications and deleted all HP Software I found there including even the OCR. When I was done, no printer was shown at Windows->Settings->Devices->Printers and Scanners

2. I installed the OJ8620_198.exe software taking all defaults. The install program took me to the HP Smart page on the internet and I installed and configured HP Smart taking all defaults. The only problem was a warning message about checking the IP address during the FAX install. I followed and re-typed in the printer IP address of 192.168.1.9 (which is what was there anyway) and that allowed the fax install run to completion. The printer install worked fine.  After HP Smart install finished, it asked if I wanted to print a test. When I pressed the Print button it came back with a message "Your printer has experienced an unexpected configuration problem (0x80070077)". Then I exited the completed HP Smart install program.

3. I ran HP Smart from the start menu, selected my 8620. It showed the printer as ready with a green check box. Selecting Printer Info it showed what looks like good info, including Installation Status as "Installed" Shows the IP address of 192.168.1.9, a reasonable sounding host name of HP53B294 etc etc.  

4. Ran the wireless setup wizard using the same IP address and giving the SSID password. No problems with the re-setup.

5. In Windows->Settings->Printers-HP8620(Default)->Manage->Print a test page results in error box "Operation could not be completed error 0x0000077"

6. Ran the Windows 10 print troubleshooter and it hung while running "Checking the Spooler Service". I had to cancel out after waiting around 5 minutes for it to finish.

7. Tried in Windows->Settings->Printers-HP8620(Default)->Manage->Printing Preferences-> OK Button results in error box  saying "Function Address 0x00007FFD02D74F69 caused a protection fault exception code 0x0000505"

8.Tried printing a page from Windows Notepad app. No printing happened and the spooler didn't show up in the system tray.

9. Ran Print and Scan Doctor. It showed 2 printers to select from both at 192.168.1.9. One named "Office Jet Pro 8620(Network)" and the other named "Office Jet Pro 8620(Net)."  Decided to test the one named 8620 (Network). P&S Doctor reported all was ok and asked if I wanted to print a test page. I pressed the test button and nothing printed. I then pressed the No Print button and then pressed the Internal Print button which did cause a Print Quality diagnostic page to print. P&S Doctor then offered to uninstall and have me download and reinstall the HP divers and software which I declined, since I've done that 5-6 times in the last few days  with similar bad results.

10. One last thing: when I go to Windows, Settings, Printers, Manage and click "Print a Test Page, I get an error box " Operation could not be completed error 0x0000077. System does not support the command requested":

ANY HELP you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I have been using this printer more or less uneventfully since 2014 and want to continue doing so!!

Thanks in advance.

Lenny Wintfeld

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same issue.  I did the same...installed Windows 11 and then reverted back to Windows 10.  I've not been able to print since going back to 10.

I removed the printer and all HP software from my system.  I then did a fresh install of the 8620 software and drivers.  Same results before and after the removal and fresh installation.  

Help!

HP Recommended

Same here. Experiencing the exact same problems described here. Issue, for me at least, appears to be when I try to print a PDF. I test printed a non-PDF and it seemed to print fine. 

HP Recommended

@lennyw07016, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand you are not able to print from your Win 10 PC. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps.

Install the printer using the TCP/IP port:

Check for any pending Windows updates first.

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Remove the existing printer entry > click on Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.

Try printing. (Do not use the HP smart app. Go to File > Print)

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello-

Followed your steps, and I still continue to have the same problem. Not able to print. 

HP Recommended

@GoldenBear4Life

If the issue is limited to printing PDF files, it is not an issue with the printer. It is an application-specific issue.

Try updating the Adobe Reader or reinstalling it. 

Print PDF as an image and check if that helps, refer to this document. 

If the issue persists, contact the app developer.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions but it did not fix the problem. Just to be clear, I elaborate my responses when following the on-screen instructions (from your instruction number 6).

In the first dialog I took the option "Use the driver that is currently installed. In the second dialog I added the printername "HP Officejet Pro 8620 with TCP/IP Connection". In the third dialog I took the option "Share this printer so that others on your network can find and use it". In the last dialog named "You have sucessfully added HP Officejet Pro 8620 with TCP/IP Connection" I checked the box Set as default printer. I also clicked the button "Print a Test Page" in that dialog box. But the print did not happen and there was no spooler icon in the system tray. There was also no error box on the scree. (it just sat there).

By the way, after doing all of the above I also tried again printing from another computer on the network and it prints fine.  Further, I  checked the system spooler service:  Stopped and restarted the spooler both from the Windows10 "Services" app and from the Services tab in the Windows 10 task manager. After which I tried printing a Notepad txt file. The result is again no printing and no error message from the printer or from the system.

Please let me know what further step I can try to resolve this. From reading other messages on this thread, it seems I'm not the only one with this problem. 

Thanks in advance for further help!

Lenny Wintfeld

HP Recommended

Yes....finding that it's not PDF specific. In fact, I was able to print out a pdf document from a laptop that had not been  upgraded to Windows 11 and it printed find. It appears the updating to Windows 11 and then back to Windows 10 is causing an issue with windows identifying the printer. 

HP Recommended

I tried one more time to make the 8620 print. I took notes and can provide details if it would help, but here is a summary of what I did. I completely removed all HP software from my computer using the instructions at https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1980013-1980057-16. The only issued i had in removing is when following the first instruction "Disconnct the printer from the computer network", I could not do that because the printer is on the network via WiFi, so instead I powered the printer down. But when I went to remove the printer via Add/Remove programs in Windows and selected HP8620 it gave an error message "Failed to uninstall device". So I powered the printer up and then the uninstall worked fine in removing all the software.  I then removed any remaining HP Software shown in the Windows  Add/Remove programs app. For good measure, I downloaded the Windows MS Install/Uninstall Troubleshooter and found the HP Product Improvement Study for Officejet 8620 was listed and I used the troubleshooter to uninstall that program too. At this point I also found the HP 8620 FAX listed in the Windows-.Settings->Devices->Printers app and removed it from there. I then rebooted. With everything apparently removed, I then I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor (5.6.2) taking all defaults. With it, P&S Doctor installed HP Smart (only) it did not ask if I want to install the drivers (maybe HP Smart installs the drivers when HP Smart gets installed?). HP Smart asked if I want to print a test page and I tried this but got an error box  referring to an unexpected configuration problems 0X80010105. A print of a test page from HP Smart results in the print of a Printer Status Report. A print of a page from Windows Notepad results in nothing printing and there is no no printer spooler queue in the Windows system tray, but no error message either. Similarly there is not print and no printer spooler queue in the system tray and no error message when attempting to print a web page.  This is just a summary. I can provide more detail if needed, but didn't want to take up too much space in this query. 

PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP ME GET PRINTING GOING AGAIN AFTER A REVERT FROM WIN 11 TO  WIN 10! From the looks of it there are quite a few people who have the same problem with no solution available so far!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lenny Wintfeld

HP Recommended

So.....no more follow-ups? Still not able to print...have tried everything you suggested, in addition to, other things folks online have recommended. Some follow-up from the HP rep would be greatly appreciated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.