Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
10-29-2020 05:56 PM
The device is an Officejet Pro 8610 connected via an ethernet cable to my router. Officejet Pro 8610 Device Software stopped working. This appears to have been a result of a Microsoft Windows 10 update but I am not certain of that. The software previously was working without issues. I went through a number of steps suggested by HP and ultimately uninstalled the software and the drivers.
I have downloaded the software from HP. The filename is OJ8610-198.exe.after a f
When I run this the installer starts and after a few steps it says "Installation is complete". I click Finish and it exits.
But as best I can tell no software has been installed, It is not listed in a listing of installed software and no short cut appears on the desktop. I can find no reference to it anywhere.
I have tried every suggested fix that I can find without success.
Solved! Go to Solution.
11-01-2020 01:07 PM
I'd like to help!
Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.
- Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
- Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
- Restart your computer.
- Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
- Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
- Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
- Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
- Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
- Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
- Again, go running window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
- Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
- Now restart your computer again.
- Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
- Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
- Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
- Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well
- Windows image acquisition stop and restart the service
Reinstall the drivers from the software and drivers page
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
And, Welcome to the HP Support Community.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping
11-01-2020 04:37 PM
I went through all the steps outlined above. The result was exactly the same. The installer said "Installation is complete" I click FINISH but nothing appears to have been installed. It did not search for the printer or do anything else.
11-02-2020 08:28 AM
Try installing the printer with windows built-in driver-
Set Windows Update to automatically download driver software
Confirm that your computer is set to automatically download driver software.
In Windows, search for and open Change device installation settings.
In the Device Installation Settings window, select the Yes option, and then click Save Changes.
Install the built-in print driver over a network connection with Windows 10 or Windows 8.
In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.
Click Devices and Printers, and then click Add a printer.
On the Choose a device or printer to add to this PC window, select your printer, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. If your printer is not in the list, continue with these steps.
Click The printer I want isn't listed, and then select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.
Select the port to be used by your printer, such as USB001 for a USB connected printer, and then click Next.
Click Windows Update, and then wait for the print drivers to update.
Click HP, Hewlett-Packard, or Hewlett Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.
If your printer is in the list, select it, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
If your printer is not in the list, click the back arrow in the upper left corner of the window two times to return to the Find a printer by other options step, and then continue with these steps.
Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname, and then click Next.
Select Autodetect from the Device type drop-down list.
Type your printer IP address into the text box, and then click Next.
To find the printer IP address, print a Wireless Network Test report or a Network Configuration page.
Wait for the computer to connect to the printer, and then click Next to install the print driver.
Keep me posted!
11-02-2020 01:05 PM
I installed the printer using the drivers selected by Windows 10. I was able to print from MS applications and scan documents using HP SMART. I had to reset HP SMART and tell it to search for the printer by IP address and it found it successfully. I was able to scan documents using HP SMART. It doesn't seem as quick as the original device software for the printer but it will do.
Thanks for your help.
11-02-2020 04:36 PM
You're welcome 🙂
If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.
Have a great day ahead!
Please click “Accepted Solution” on my public post if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!