Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

this is my solution 🙂

stock-photo-angry-man-breaks-printer-into-pieces-with-a-sledgehammer-25997503.jpg

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue.  I set up my 9010e and, along with several other more minor issues, I'm in this continuous attempt to update loop.  Every few minutes the printer tries to download an update, is unsuccessful, then needs to be rebooted.  I finally just had to turn it off and cannot leave it on because of these repetitious unsuccessful attempts to update.  I've been all through the settings trying to resolve and cannot.  Probably the most annoying thing is that automatic updates cannot be turned off.  I wasted most of a day trying to resolve this and finally gave up.

HP Recommended

After a few months without a problem (presumably becuase there was no new software update to download), the problem is back again!  So frustrating! Last time, HP apparently fixed it by re-booting my account at their end. Just dread having to try and deal with them again!!! It's a forlorn hope but would someone from HP with SOME KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE please pick this one up and fix it?

HP Recommended

I am realising that these problems seem to be caused by my subscription (free at the moment) to Instant Ink.  It's clear that, for this service, HP take complete control of the printer and force downloads on you. I think the only way for me to get a working printer is to cancel Instant Ink, completely uninstall my printer and re-install it as a stand-alone device.  That way, I can decide whether I want updates and when (I suspect I will simply turn the update feature off).

HP Recommended

It would be great if someone from HP would give support on this!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Too true!  I'm not holding my breath!

HP Recommended

After a couple of weeks of my printer stuck in the "can't update" loop, I suddenly find that it appears to have updated, is running normally and doesn't keep taking itself off-line! Whether this is a random event or HP saw this thread and took some action, I do not know. Great that things are working normally but I have no confidence that the same thing will happen  when the next mandatory software update is pushed out.

HP Recommended

Spoke too soon!!!! Same old problem.  Printer has finally got out of software update loop and now displays a message that there is a problem with my hp account.  My account shows the printer is not connected even though it is.  This is exactly what happened before!!! I know from experience that I will now not be able to get the account unlocked without hp intervention.  HPO PLEASE HELP

HP Recommended

Same here.  I removed the printer from my computer and uninstalled HP Smart, then did a complete reinstall from scratch.  Made sure to do it when I didn't have my VPN connection to work.  I thought the problem was solved; everthing worked fine for about a week.  Then it suddenly started doing the same loop again.  I also found when it was working right, Adobe would recognize it as a scanner.  As soon as it went back into this ridiculous loop of trying to download and shutting down, Adobe will no longer recognize it as a scanner and HP Smart shows "status unknown", even when it is in between the download cycles (which always fail and end up with the printer offline).  Nobody from HP is helping with this.  God help me if I ever buy another HP product!

HP Recommended

Hi@BillM5,

Welcome to the HP support community.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to fix connectivity and printing issues.

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

2. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer is not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

3. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

4. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

5. Try to print.

Assign a manual IP address and that should fix the issue.

A Network Configuration Page lists important network settings such as network status and the printer IP address.

1. Load plain white paper in the input tray.

2. From the home screen on the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Wireless icon  or Ethernet icon  to display the network status screen.

3. Touch Print Details to print the network configuration page.

4. Alternatively, from the home screen on the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

5. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Reports.

6. Touch Network Configuration Page.

Setting a Static IP Address

Once you know your printer’s IP address from the page you printed, entering it is pretty easy. Here’s what you do:

HP Printer Static IP Address

1. Run your Web browser.
  2. In the Web browser’s address bar, type the IP address of your printer and press Enter. Assuming you entered the right address, the HP printer control panel should appear.
  3. Click the Networking tab.
  4. Under Connections, click Wireless.
  5. Under IP Address Configuration, click Manual IP.
  6. Enter the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway in the appropriate boxes.
  7. Click Apply.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.