Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
LASERJET PRO MFP M 127 fn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried 6 times now to reinstall  my printer, I keep getting the message once its loaded - before "install"

''AN INSTALL OPERATION TOOK TOO LONG TO EXECUTE.  THIS IS A FATAL ERROR PREVENTING PRODUCT USE. PLEASE RESTART YOUR COMPUTER, AND RUN THIS INSTALLER AGAIN. IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS, PLEASE CHECK THE PRODUCT SUPPOER WEBSITE FOR YOUR PRODUCT.

Its drving me nuts!  I downloaded the software 4 times already, and tried reinstalling 6 times, the same error occurs.  can anyone help?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @TanyaRSA,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding printer installation issues. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and spectacular troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this?

• Please provide a screenshot of the exact error message?
  • Did you try to install it on a new user account?

It looks like an issue with the operating system of your computer.

For a start please try these steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top.
  • Click on print server properties.
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box,
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Ignore the Regedit option if it cannot be done.
  • Restart the PC again.

Create a new local Administrator user account from this link: http://hp.care/2rZfJBC

After doing this, download the latest full feature driver from http://hp.care/2t3Zua4  and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.

• This should do the trick for you if there are no operating system issues with your computer.
  • If it fails to install please try to install the printer on a different computer and check if it works. If it does then you will need to back up the files on this computer.
  • Then reinstall windows back to factory settings and reinstall the printer software

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have a similar issue with my:

laserjet 100 color mfp 175a

My printer worked fine, on my old laptop, now I have a new PC, on which I'm using a windows 10, 64 bit

My issue is the same, the installer takes like 20 minutes and then at 99% says:

PRINTER DRIVER TAKING TOO LONG TO INSTALL

I followed all steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (my printer wasn't listed)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (my printer wasn't listed)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. Click on print server properties. You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any. (my printer wasn't listed)
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers. (my printer wasn't listed)
  • Restart the PC. (done)
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button. It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (done)
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application. (done, using this guide, https://www.techidiots.net/notes/windows-7/manually-remove-all-printer-drivers🙂
  • Restart the PC again.(done)

I'm reinstalling again, and again the software installer tells me:

PRODUCT HAS BEEN DETECTED, WAITING FOR PRODUCT SETUP TO FINISH, THIS MAY TAKE SEVERAL MINUTES...

then the same error, and sadly nothing was fixed:

screenshot for your convenience:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zuHIJcCPFZlsQf4YN3cWEuoHAaZC11N1

If you have any other suggestion, I'd be open to them.

Kinds regards,

Johannes

HP Recommended

@LuckyBastaveren

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, there's an issue with the printer installation.

Appreciate you trying the troubleshooting steps. Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

Let's try these steps -

1) Right-click on the Start or the Windows icon and open run. 
2) In the Run box, type %temp% and hit on "Ok". This will open the "Temp" folder.
3) Select "Date Modified" to "Today" and look for a 7z.... folder. 
4) Open the folder and look for a .msi file. 
5) Right click on it to install. 

Try running the downloaded file in compatibility mode. Once the driver is downloaded, right click on the download in the browser and then click on "Show in folder". Right click on "Properties" and then click on the "Compatibility" tab. Select, "Run this compatibility mode for:" - Windows Vista. Also, check the box for "Run this program as an administrator". 

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the purple "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Brand new, fast computer with lots of ram:  Takes over 20 minutes to install software AND requires the usb cable be pulled and reinserted.  Suggestions for making the install work when it hangs is totally ridiculous.  Here's a suggestion:  Fire your current worker bees and hire competent programmers.  The PCL language hasn't changed much in 30 years and writing a driver should be dead on simple. It should be small and install in less than 2 minutes.  If you can't figure that one out, HP, it's time to move aside and give the task to someone else.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.