Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 8750
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I have a Photosmart 8750, the current drivers from HP are very basic, and no longer give the option of using the black cartridge only.  Driver version is 2.0.4 via HP smart app.  Anyway of getting a driver which will permit use of the black cartridge only again?  The current windows 10 drivers from HP still permit this, so why not MacOS?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@john158_grey

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

You can try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/ish_1776648-1643972-16'

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, unfortunately there are no firmware updates listed for anything more recent than Mac OS 10.9. 

HP Recommended

Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) provides open-source basic print drivers for many printers that would otherwise not be supported in Mac OS X. To see if your printer is supported, go to Gutenprint drivers for more information.

NOTE: Gutenprint drivers are not supported by HP or Apple.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks but no drivers listed for the Photosmart 8750 on that page.

Unless HP release an updated MacOS 11 driver it looks like the only option if I want to use the black cartridge only (which is absolutely necessary for reasonably neutral black and white photo prints) is to either only connect to a Windows 10 machine or accept that it only has partial functionality with Mac OS.

HP Recommended

Please unplug the printer cable from the Mac and then reset the printing system as following:

*Be aware that resetting the printer system will remove any existing print queue and reset any customized driver settings.

Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.
Select Printers & Scanners.
Right-click (or Ctrl + click) your product in the Printers list in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system.
Click OK to confirm the reset.
Type your user Name and Password.
Click OK. The printing system resets.

Next, download and install below drivers package:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/ASU/HPPrinterDrivers5.1.dm...

Finally, ensure the printer is powered on and connected to your Mac.

Click the Apple icon and select System Preferences.

Click Printers & Scanner and press the plus sign.

Select your listed printer, within the Use drop-down menu be sure to select the HP Photosmart 8700 series and press the Add button.

Now try printing to ensure its functionality.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.