Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP photosmart C4780
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since the Flash mess I've used the community to find ways around scanning etc without the now defunct control panel. First question, has there been a fix released or new software to assist in printing/scanning? I've tried the HP Smart App but the printer I have (C4780) isn't compatable.

The issue I am now having is cartridge alignment, something usually fixed easily with the old control panel. I have recently replaced the colour cartridge, but for some reason the black is now out by 1mm or so. I've used the recommended HP doctor tool to try test pages, and even when scanning the alignment page, it's says that everything is aligned but it isn't.

To describe the alignment page, the text has a shadow instead of being crisp, and the three colour blocks all look perfect. Then the black which is divided into 3, it is the left hand of these that is above the rest by 1mm. The crosshair below also shows the black out. How on earth do I correct this when the software thinks it is good, and why on earth would replacing the colour cartridge have affected this?

Really struggling since the flash incident, is there anything announced that I may have missed? Really don't want to buy a new printer!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SUCCESS, but how on earth does that work!? I tried the partial and semi-full resets but no joy, and uninstalled and reinstalled everything I could but exactly the same alignment issue. I'm not techy enough to understand drivers.

The thing that has worked is the cartridge swap, which relies on having the last working cartridge, which luckily I have. To clarify, though it seems to be the black thats the issue, it is my colour cartridge I recently replaced. So ...

1. remove the latest cartridge and replace with the previous working one

2. print the aligment page as instructed and scan (keep this sheet!)

3. remove the old cartridge and replace with the newer one

4. print a new aligment sheet as suggested BUT scan the previous sheet from the old cartridge

I have absolutely no clue how or why this would work but it has, no shadow on the text and it's printing perfectly. Not the best way forward but it'll do until I work my way through my cartridges and save for a new non-HP printer. Hope it works for you 😉

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I seem to have exactly the same - and we are not alone - here is my post  from the other week - together with a couple of comments:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Ink-Cartridges-Print-Quality/Black-not-aligned-with-grey-and-t...

There are others online with the same symptoms -and some weird but possible fixes I have yet to be able to try ( using old cartridges ??!! ) - and am hoping for some clarity that they will before going along this route:

How can we get more help I wonder ??

cheers

Colin

HP Recommended

@ColinDan wrote:

I seem to have exactly the same - and we are not alone - here is my post  from the other week - together with a couple of comments:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Ink-Cartridges-Print-Quality/Black-not-aligned-with-grey-and-t...

Thanks for that, very interesting to see others having the exact same problem. And my sheet looks the same as yours, with the same bold black line out, which is really strange. It just seems really weird that the first time I change the cartridge since the Flash debacle the printer decides to become unusable. Given that the only other software that would help - the HP Smart App - isn't compatable with this model, it's almost as if HP just wants people to buy newer printers as a solution to this mess.

There is a lot of info you shared so I'll give it all a try 😉 Typical, I have just forked out on 4 new cartridges to last me the year and I might need a new printer 😭

HP Recommended

great

keep me posted

I also have the same dilemma - whether to stock up with more cartridges - or buy a whole new printer - the latter option being VERY ANNOYING

I'm sure there is a solution - we just need to find it.

keep in touch

Colin

HP Recommended

SUCCESS, but how on earth does that work!? I tried the partial and semi-full resets but no joy, and uninstalled and reinstalled everything I could but exactly the same alignment issue. I'm not techy enough to understand drivers.

The thing that has worked is the cartridge swap, which relies on having the last working cartridge, which luckily I have. To clarify, though it seems to be the black thats the issue, it is my colour cartridge I recently replaced. So ...

1. remove the latest cartridge and replace with the previous working one

2. print the aligment page as instructed and scan (keep this sheet!)

3. remove the old cartridge and replace with the newer one

4. print a new aligment sheet as suggested BUT scan the previous sheet from the old cartridge

I have absolutely no clue how or why this would work but it has, no shadow on the text and it's printing perfectly. Not the best way forward but it'll do until I work my way through my cartridges and save for a new non-HP printer. Hope it works for you 😉

HP Recommended

I have had the same problem since changing the black cartridge on my C4780 3 months ago. Like others I did a full reset on the printer but it made no difference. I tossed up between throwing the printer away and buying a new pair of cartridges. As expected the new cartridge pair made no difference.

The issue seems to be that the alignment page that is now printed is not correct, the line with the BLUE and BLACK rectangles on has the BLACK ones about 0.5mm below the BLUE ONES. Luckily I kept an old correctly printed alignment sheet and had a spare cartridge to force an alignment check.

I am pleased to say it now prints fine.

However, it would be nice to understand why the printer fails to print the alignment sheet correctly.

HP Recommended

WOW - it looks like we are making progress, even though we are struggling to understand how or why this plan of action works.

As for me - I still have the old black toner cartridge, which was nearly sent away for recycling - so what I plan to do is to buy a refill kit and get to back working - then follow the lines above.

I can also confirm that, like you, the blue and black on the alignment sheet ( in the blue / back line) are also not in line ( the black appears lower than the blue )  - which maybe somehow accounts for the problem of black printing being above colour printing in other documents.

Anyway - I'll take a chance and buy a refill kit  ( youtube also has some instructions over how to do this )  - and share the outcome

As so often with IT  - one has to run -  to just to stand still 😞

thank goodness we are reasonably technically savvy 🙂 - I feel sorry for those who aren't  - and are left without any options - other than shell out more money again - hey ho !!

keep in touch

Colin

HP Recommended

Hi Folks - just a further thought -  ( and following the above 2 comments) as it seems that the error may well stem from the printed alignment sheet - being misaligned ( see above ) - and my earlier post where I included a photo of it ..

I had the idea of  scanning the erroneous alignment sheet   - then edit it, so that the blue and black line up - then progress from there

HOWEVER - if HP or someone else could email me a correct alignment sheet ( or point me towards one ) - it would be worth seeing if that also could be printed locally and used as a basis to fix the problem ( rather than trying to bring my old and empty cartridge back into service )

that said -  perhaps I would need one sent to me in paper format ( or maybe printed on a printer elsewhere which works)- as I am not sure how this works

thoughts or comments most welcomed

cheers

colin

HP Recommended

HOWEVER - if HP or someone else could email me a correct alignment sheet ( or point me towards one ) - it would be worth seeing if that also could be printed locally and used as a basis to fix the problem ( rather than trying to bring my old and empty cartridge back into service )

that said -  perhaps I would need one sent to me in paper format ( or maybe printed on a printer elsewhere which works)- as I am not sure how this works

The only solution I can think of is

(a) being able to physically print a page yourself from old cartridges that previously worked

(b) being sent a physical page from HP or other source of a correctly aligned sheet

I think there will be a problem when trying to print a copied version of the sheet. For example, if I scan and sent as a JPG to you, then you print on another printer, there is always going to be a mm or so difference in various stages.

I just think it's wierd that this is happening to older models, ones that aren't supported by the new HP app. It's almost as if HP doesn't have a solution to the Flash mess and is hoping people just give up with this new alignment issue and buy a new printer 🤔

HP Recommended

I believe AH_4 is correct, you will need to print the alignment sheet on a known good printer.

The real question is, why is the alignment sheet printed incorrectly .e Blue and Black out of alignment?

Does anyone know how this printer works ?

My best guess is that it does the following when it starts printing -

a) Prints Black where required when the printhead traverses left to right

b) Adjusts the paper using the out of alignment offset

c) Prints Colours where required when the printhead traverses right to left

d) Moves the paper one print head depth plus or minus the printhead out of alignment offset

Repeat.

If this is correct then it appears that when a replacement cartridge is put into the printer the offset should be zero, but in our cases it is not, and when we scan the offset alignment page the offset is maintained.

However, if a good alignment page is scanned the offset is cleared !!

Why did this start happening ?

Did the printer firmware get updated ? As far as I know mine did not.

According to the Extended Self Test the firmware version I have is SPM1FN0927AR-0, is that a good one ?

Sorry lots of questions, but I expect lots of others will find this issue when they have to change cartridges.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.