Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 3755 All-in-One Printer

I chatted with an HP Chat bot in order to set up my printer. I believe my session was HP938213MC.

The bot connected me via phone to a tech named "Adam", who warned me that my computer and Windows 11 system was infected with a Trojan Horse virus that my anti-malware app could not detect or remove. He tried to sell me an expensive program to remove the virus. He said it was impossible to set up my printer until that was done.

I wonder if the man was for real.

Please advise.

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Tom_E_John 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

The man was likely "for real" though there is every indication you were NOT chatting with HP.

Scam all the way.

There are many fake support sites on the Internet -- some of the cons are very sneaky.

HP would never tell you your computer is full of bugs.

HP would never attempt sell you security software.

HP does not try to worm their way into your computer.

HP does not threaten, cajole, or try to convince you to part with your credit card information.

Hopefully the Rat did not gain access to your computer and you did not give them any personal information.

I will forward your concerns to our Community moderator team.

Should there be a response, look for a message here before the agent tries to contact you using any other means.

For those reading:

Beware of Fake "123" Sites

The "Real Deal"

123.hp.com - Printer setup from the HP® Official site

https://123.hp.com/

The official HP 123 site is where you can find the appropriate (and free) software and drivers for your printer.

• There are many “fake” sites listed (in search engines) for “123” – please make sure you are using the actual “HP” site.

• If you are asked for money to correct "issues" on your printer or computer OR if the “help” wants to log into your computer, you are using a “fake” site. Do not give these people your information! 

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Document includes links to USA and Canadian authorities to report the incident.

Excerpted

Recently, HP has seen an increased number of third-party support websites selling HP driver downloads or diagnostic tools. Many of these websites use the HP trademark symbol and claim to be official HP distributors.

If your product supports your operating system, HP offers your driver and software at no additional cost through the HP website.

Use caution when dealing with any website that asks you to pay for HP driver downloads or tools that claim to diagnose your HP products. These websites might not be affiliated with HP in any way.

Do not install BIOS updates from a motherboard manufacturer's website. Only install BIOS updates from HP. Installing BIOS updates from the motherboard manufacturer can prevent the computer from accepting an HP system recovery. This could result in a loss of data.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Tom_E_John 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

The man was likely "for real" though there is every indication you were NOT chatting with HP.

Scam all the way.

There are many fake support sites on the Internet -- some of the cons are very sneaky.

HP would never tell you your computer is full of bugs.

HP would never attempt sell you security software.

HP does not try to worm their way into your computer.

HP does not threaten, cajole, or try to convince you to part with your credit card information.

Hopefully the Rat did not gain access to your computer and you did not give them any personal information.

I will forward your concerns to our Community moderator team.

Should there be a response, look for a message here before the agent tries to contact you using any other means.

For those reading:

Beware of Fake "123" Sites

The "Real Deal"

123.hp.com - Printer setup from the HP® Official site

https://123.hp.com/

The official HP 123 site is where you can find the appropriate (and free) software and drivers for your printer.

• There are many “fake” sites listed (in search engines) for “123” – please make sure you are using the actual “HP” site.

• If you are asked for money to correct "issues" on your printer or computer OR if the “help” wants to log into your computer, you are using a “fake” site. Do not give these people your information! 

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Document includes links to USA and Canadian authorities to report the incident.

Excerpted

Recently, HP has seen an increased number of third-party support websites selling HP driver downloads or diagnostic tools. Many of these websites use the HP trademark symbol and claim to be official HP distributors.

If your product supports your operating system, HP offers your driver and software at no additional cost through the HP website.

Use caution when dealing with any website that asks you to pay for HP driver downloads or tools that claim to diagnose your HP products. These websites might not be affiliated with HP in any way.

Do not install BIOS updates from a motherboard manufacturer's website. Only install BIOS updates from HP. Installing BIOS updates from the motherboard manufacturer can prevent the computer from accepting an HP system recovery. This could result in a loss of data.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.