Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just setup a new HP 7740.  I am using regular Letter size paper.  When I tried to print a PDF document, the printer automatically inserted a blank margin of about 5/8" on all four sides, thereby reducing my document to about 90% of actual size.  I can't find any setting that instructs the printer to do this so there is nothing to adjust/undo.  Why does the printer do this and how can I make it just print actual size.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Do you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed? There are options available when you do that do not always show up when using other programs to print PDFs

Repairatrooper_0-1605329254545.png

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Yes I do have Adobe Acrobat Reader.  I have 2 HP printers, the 8710 and the 7740.  the print dialog you show works fine when I specify the 8710 and choose "Actual Size" but when I set it the 7740 and "Actual Size", for some reason, the preview shows the margins and anything on the original document that is on the margin gets cut off and does not print

HP Recommended

Also when I use HP Smart with the 7740 printer, if I choose one-sided printing, the margin is still there but smaller.  When I choose duplex printer, the blank margin increases and I have to either shrink to fit or have anything on the margin of the original not show up when printed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.