Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro M1212nf MFP
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi. My printer works fine. It connects via Ethernet to my router. I just want to be able to monitor the toner level in my Laserjet Pro M1212nf MFP. I used the Printer's control panel and found "Supply Status" in the "System Setup" menu. I think that's the toner level so that works but I want to be able to check it from Windows. I have Windows 7. The HP Print and Scan Doctor is supposed to let you monitor the toner level so I downloaded it but it doesn't work. Step 1 is to find my printer which it does. It identifies it correctly. I then click Next and the message is "Communicating with printer...". 30 seconds later I get "Unable to communicate with printer". I already tried rebooting the router and printer. So that's where I am. I just want a program to monitor the toner level.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@630NYJ

Search Windows for HP, and then click your printer name or HP Solution Center. Click Maintain Your Printer, if necessary.

Example of Estimated Ink Levels in HP Printer Assistant

If you have not installed the HP printer software, go to HP Software and Driver Downloads. Identify your printer, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

Refer to this document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-laserjet-pro-m1212nf-multifunction-printer-series/3965847/do... to Check Ink or Toner Levels.

Hope this helps you!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Searching Windows for HP brought up only HP Toolbox and HP Laserjet Guide so I went to HP Software and Driver Downloads. By "HP printer software" I assume you mean the "HP LaserJet Full Feature Software and Driver", not the ePrint software, utilities or the diagnostic tool. The installation gave me 2 shortcuts: "Shop for HP supplies" and "HP Print and Scan Doctor". I already tried the Print and Scan Doctor but I tried it again. The result is the same. Now when I search Windows for HP, I get HP Toolbox, Shop for HP Supplies, HP ePrint and HP Laserjet Guide. Neither my printer name nor HP Solution Center are displayed. Also, HP Solution Center isn't even mentioned on the Software and Driver Downloads page.

HP Recommended

@630NYJ

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

Remove the USB if connected

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m1212nf-multifunction-printer-serie... to install the Full Feature Software and Driver.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I installed the Full Feature Software and Driver like before. I then ran the Print and Scan Doctor like before but this time it was able to do step 2 - communicate with the printer. I then clicked Printer on the menu bar and Supply Levels to see the estimated remaining ink. So I have what I wanted. Searching Windows for HP still doesn't show the name of my printer or HP Solution Center which is the program pictured in your first reply. I have an HP folder in the Start menu now with several items but Solution Center isn't one of them. So, where is that program? 

HP Recommended

@630NYJ

Refer to this document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01919102 for HP Solution Center Does Not Function.

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.