Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP officejet 8020 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

HP support is extremely frustrationg and timeconsuming are is no help whatsover - so need to ask community

My previous office jet 6700 scan software was able to select type of doc eg PDF, RTF or OCR - the new office jet software is very inferior (8020 series) and wont allow you to choose an OCR option. Any ideas how to downgrade to older software?

Thanks Mike

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@mikeg007, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

The OCR option is no longer available with the HP full-featured drivers. However, you may use the HP Scan Extended app to scan and check if that helps.

Click here to download the app. 

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The app is totally pointless as it does no more than the  HP smart .

So what you are saying is the the fully featured drivers for your printers are now no longer fully featured.

Hence I should have bought an old version of a printer to get the OCR feature.

Can I use the 8020 with the much better print/scan software that comes with the 6700 series??

Or do I need to have 2 printers on the go?

HP Recommended

@mikeg007

You cannot use the 8020 printer with 6700 drivers. The OCR function is not free any more. HP had a partnership with the company and was providing it for free which has been stopped now.

The HP Scan extended app does support OCR functions for some model printers. If it did not help, you will have to purchase the OCR software from a third-party.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The problem with the 8022 is that whilst you can print with it if you try to scan from the computer you get an error message which reads

HP Smart cannot scan from this printer. Either the printer does not have a scanner or HP Smart cannot use the scanner in this printer.

Does this mean I have to buy a different printer as the main function I use is scanning?

I think you need to remame your software 'HP not-so-smart'

HP Recommended

@mikeg007

Have you tried scanning using the full-featured software?

Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Now, refer to this document to know, how to scan.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer and scanner now work but the scanner is really unusable because the scan dialogue box is so tiny I need a magnifying glass to read it - whether I use the 8020 App or the scan specific app.

Is it a case of a new printer with better software??. I have spent ages on this. As a long standing HP supporter I think is may be time to change my brand. Long gone are the days of plug and play - HP seem to have lost the plot.

HP Recommended

@mikeg007

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

How do I do that - the support website is very difficult to navigate and I cant find any option to talk to some one

HP Recommended

@mikeg007

I have sent you a private message with the contact information to reach the HP technical support team. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.