Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5740
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I have a hard time explaining the issue but anytime I go to use the printer, even though it is already connected to the WiFi I wont be able to connect to the printer. I have to go to the printer, turn off wireless and then turn it back on in order for my computer to communicate with the printer. Anybody have this issue or have any idea what might be happening? Recently installed a new router through comcast and that was when the connection issues started. Updated to the most recent drivers. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@GoodTurnCycles

A warm welcome to HP Forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand your printer is having WiFi connectivity issues and I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

What's the make and model of your WiFi router?

Approximately how far is the printer and Mac located from your WiFi router?

Could you check for WiFi interference and also perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results. Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by touching the wireless icon on the printer display.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Senan, 

Thank you for responding. I am not sure what the make and model of the router is. It was provided by comcast and only has "comcast Business" on it with no other indicaters. We do have a WiFi range extender as well that is a Mojo. There is little interference and even when I try to use the laptop right next to the printer I still have to disconnect and reconnect for it to print. I did a ping test and these were the results. 

10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.557/5.343/23.090/6.518 ms

So the printer is continuously connected to internet and the computer but i still need to reset the wifi after I click to print a document. 

HP Recommended

@GoodTurnCycles

It looks like there is no packet loss during ping test. It's possible that the wireless router is blocking or not able to forward multicast packet (Bonjour), which is essential for Apple devices to communicate over a wireless network. Please contact your internet service provider or router manufacturer and check if the router is able to forward multicast packet. If the router is able to forward multicast packets, then use the steps available here to troubleshoot the connectivity issue.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.