Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I reinstalled my Windows 10. I installed and updated all the drivers. My printer is connected to my computer via Wifi. 

When I print from a PDF file, the pages do print in color. But when I print from Word or Excel, they always come out black. 

I have no way of finding the option to choose color/B&W in any menu option anywhere on my PC. It seems to have disappeared. 

What can I do to fix this?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@maxpower1978

Welcome to the HP support community.

Update the printer firmware

Follow the steps mentioned in this HP document to update firmware:- Click here

Once you install the printer, change the bellow settings to print in color.

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing Preferences.
  3. Make your choices, and then click OK.
  4. Under option Print color select color, then the OK button.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I have tried all the traditional methods. I have updated all the drivers, if they needed updating. I have reset everything. And I have disconncted and reconnected the printer to my computer via wifi. I have even turned everything off and on again!

But those options don't show up in the printer menu on my computer. 

WHat else can I do?

HP Recommended

@maxpower1978

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.