Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2724
macOS 10.15 Catalina

The printer doesn't allow me to print in colour. The only options available are "black & white" and "black & white - draft". No colour option. Cartridges are properly installed and I have re-installed the HP Smart app.

Must be a setting somewhere. 

Thanks for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@meier_st, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try making a standalone copy in color and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Have you tried printing different types of documents?

Check for updates for the HP Smart app from the App store. Go to App Store > search for HP Smart > if there is an update available, it will show 'update', if not it would say 'open'.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your MAC.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Try printing in color. If the issue persists, use AirPrint driver to print and check if that helps as shown in step 2 of this document - Printing with Apple AirPrint

The print settings guide for MAC can be found here.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the advise:

- standalone copy works and it comes out in colour

- have tried printing different documents (Word, PDF, etc.) - same result, i.e. all black & white

- all drivers and FW seem to be latest versions

- BTW, I have a second HP printer connected on the same network and no problems there

HP Recommended

@meier_st

It seems like the hardware of the printer and the ink cartridges are working fine. This could be a software issue.

Did you check for updates on the HP Smart app from the App Store?

Did you try printing using AirPrint as mentioned in my previous post and check if that helps?

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I did check for updates but everything is up-to-date.

What I did try now (again) was to print from the app (in this case Word) and not with the HP Smart app. The same printer was available to add, which I did. I deleted the original printer and all works fine now.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@meier_st

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.