Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to install my HP Officejet 4650. I downloaded the software from:
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-4650-all-in-one-printer-series/5447930 -> HP OfficeJet 4650 series Basic Driver

and ran the executable:
Click "Connect a new device"
Select "USB" on the next screen
Connect the printer to my computer using a USB cable, click Next
Nothing happens, no printer detected.

I know that the USB cable is working, because on Control Panel (Devices and Printers), the HP 4650 printer is greyed out when the USB cabled is unplugged, and becomes coloured in once the USB cabled is plugged in.  And, everything was working fine (printer was printing) before I reformatted my PC (It was Windows 10 before, and it is still Windows 10 now). I've also tried different USB ports.

I followed the accepted solution in https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/How-not-to-set-Hp-4650-as-default-scanner... to completely uninstall the printer software and repeated the installation process.  I also did a "Restore Factory Defaults" on the printer itself.

Nothing helps. I've read other threads on printer not detected using USB on this forum but nothing works.

Could anyone help me please? I am using a Windows 10, Acer Laptop, printer is HP 4650 Officejet. Thanks a lot.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

With the USB unplugged, please right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.

Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controller (USB) category and locate USB Composite Device below that category, you will probably see a few while some are dark and some are grayed out.

Right-click and uninstall any grayed-out USB Composite Device instance and close that window.

Now open the HP Officejet 4650 software and select Connect a New Printer, then select USB.

Only connect the USB once the installation prompt to do so and then installation should now continue.

Please let me know how it goes,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  Nothing is greyed out (Please see screen shot).  No USB device is attached. USB.png

HP Recommended

Apologies for skipping a step :generic:

From the Device Manager click the top View menu and then check the Show Hidden Devices option.

Now you should see additional grayed-out USB Composite Device instances.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks.  I was able to see the greyed out USB composite device instances and uninstalled them.  Then I restarted my PC, opened the HP software and followed the instructions, but still got the "not able to connect successfully" screen.  I did wait till the prompt to connect the USB cable.  Clicking retry didn't help.  Thanks again.

hp.png

HP Recommended

Despite the above error, I am able to start a scan from my PC, by right clicking on the "HP Officejet 4650" instance under Control Panel -> Devices & Printers.

But I am unable to print (when I tried to print, HP Officejet isn't available).

On Device Manager, HP Officejet 4650 is listed under "Printer". When I right clicked->Update driver, I get the downloading message, and then it says that a driver is available but it can not be updated. 

Is there anything I can try? Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.