cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
jf_123
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Printer not working - I have tried everything

HP Recommended
dell inspiron
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an officejet 3831 printer.  Recently it would not print colour, so I replaced the cartridge.  It still would not print colour so I uninstalled everything & reinstalled.  Since that point nothing (apart from demo pages) has printed, and each time I try to fix it gets worse.  I have uninstalled & reinstalled everything multiple times.  Errors I have had are

- Driver is unavailable

- Printer uninstalled

I currently have the 'Driver is unavailable' option.  Driver looks old (driver date 21/06/2006) but it tells me its the latest version available.

What can I do (apart from throw it out the window)?

3 REPLIES 3
Betty0610
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,486 14,468 754 603
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jf_123

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
jf_123
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Betty0610,

Thanks for the instructions.  I think you're on the right track, but it didn't work.  My feeling is that the uninstall process is still leaving traces somewhere.

I have done all the below and more - I've deleted other references in the registry editor that related to the HP printer - but the printer continues to appear in the 'printers & scanners' area with the 'drivers not available' message.  This appeared just now after getting a print notification, so possibly something is trying to print.  But as far as I'm aware this is not possible given i've uninstalled everything.

One possible clue is that the HP Smart app also keeps reappearing even after uninstalling, after the same point mentioned above on receiving the print notification.

Thanks for your help thus far.

0 Kudos
Betty0610
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,486 14,468 754 603
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you able to copy?

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation