Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@Kamshah

Thank you very much for your patience. 🙂

If you downgrade the MAC to use SMB1 it would work.  But this will downgrade SMB and any file sharing that uses SMB2 will stop working.

Here is the command to downgrade.  Please note that I would caution against it and use at your own discretion.

Type in the command below in terminal. Customer will need to enter his password after entering the command:

sudo sh -c "echo '[default]' >> /etc/nsmb.conf; echo 'smb_neg=smb1_only' >> /etc/nsmb.conf"

Reboot the MAC afterwards and then perform the previous steps that I have given.

Cheers! 

HP Recommended

@Kamshah

Thank you very much for your patience. 🙂

If you downgrade the MAC to use SMB1 it would work.  But this will downgrade SMB and any file sharing that uses SMB2 will stop working.

Here is the command to downgrade.  Please note that I would caution against it and use at your own discretion.

Type in the command below in terminal. Customer will need to enter his password after entering the command:

sudo sh -c "echo '[default]' >> /etc/nsmb.conf; echo 'smb_neg=smb1_only' >> /etc/nsmb.conf"

Reboot the MAC afterwards and then perform the previous steps that I have given.

Cheers! 

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi, 

Thanks for the solution but unfortunately I don't think it is the right move. Downgrading to SMB1 compromises many security risks and also would appreciate if you guys can create a firmware patch to accomodate both protocols or upgrade the printer to SMB2. IMHO, asking users to go back in time, is not a good solution though. 

Both these devices are released in 2015, then how come they are not compatible? My MBP is a 2015 June release model and your Pirnter is I guess 2015 Sep. model. 

At this time, I would also suggest that HP should release its pritners wiht latest protocols keeping the latest developments made by two major Computer cos. Windows by MS and macOS by Apple. 

I will wait for HP to release the firmware update. 

Warm Regards, 

HP Recommended

@Kamshah

You most welcome. 🙂

I have got in touch with the dedicated team for further research and will keep you posted once I get an update on this.

Thanks for your patience. 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks but no thanks. I would not want to go that route. I would rather appreicate or wait, if you can. update your printer firmware to take care of this and send me the update. 

Thank you. 

HP Recommended

@Kamshah

Hi,

I checked with the research team and there is no firmware update being programmed for this printer currently. Also, there may not be firmware release in the near future.

Thanks!

HP Recommended
Ok. Thanks. It means I will not be able to use that functionality with my Mac. The fundamental issue is with Apple, when they switch to new protocol, they simply abandon the old one. They should make it in away that it remains backward compatible. But it is their decision.... maybe they have a bigger concern.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.