Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Printer that is connected to my computer says Driver is unavailable

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Rach56,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your HP printer is showing a "Driver is unavailable" message, it usually means there's an issue with the driver software on your computer. Here's a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot this.

Basic Checks:

Restart Your Computer and Printer: Sometimes a simple restart can resolve temporary glitches.

Check Printer Connection: Ensure the printer is properly connected to your computer via USB cable or Wi-Fi.

Windows:

If you're using Windows, follow these steps:

Update Driver:

• Press Windows Key + X and select "Device Manager."
  • Look for your printer under "Print queues" or "Other devices."
  • Right-click on the printer and select "Update driver."
  • Choose "Search automatically for updated driver software."
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.

Reinstall Printer Driver:

• Press Windows Key + X and select "Apps and Features."
  • Find your printer software in the list, click on it, and select "Uninstall."
  • Visit the HP Support website to download the latest driver for your specific printer model.
  • Follow the instructions to install the new driver.

macOS:

If you're on a Mac, try these steps:

Delete and Re-Add Printer:

• Go to "System Preferences" > "Printers & Scanners."
  • Select your printer from the list and click the "-" (minus) button to remove it.
  • Then click the "+" (plus) button to add it again.
  • macOS should automatically download and install the latest driver.

Download Driver from HP:

• Visit the HP Support website and download the latest driver for your printer model.
  • Install the driver following the on-screen instructions.

Additional Steps:

Disable Antivirus/Firewall: Sometimes security software can interfere with printer drivers. Temporarily disable your antivirus/firewall and try installing the driver again.

Check Windows Update (Windows): Make sure your Windows is up to date as sometimes driver updates are delivered through Windows Update.

Check for System Updates (Mac): Ensure your macOS is up to date by clicking the Apple logo in the top-left > "System Preferences" > "Software Update."

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.