Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
laserjet pro M203dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I send a print job to the printer, it will run for a couple of seconds and stop but not print anything. If I then remove the paper and replace it, then the printer will print the job.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @whwiechm,

I'd like to help!

I understand that the printer does not complete the print job in the first instance.

To assist better-

1. What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or device? 
  2. How is the printer connected to your computer?
  3. What is the type and size of the paper you are using?

Try the below suggestions-

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor specifically created to help with printer offline conditions.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.
  3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.
    • If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.
  5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

Try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Also, try the steps in the document - Fixing Poor Print Quality

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @whwiechm,

I'd like to help!

I understand that the printer does not complete the print job in the first instance.

To assist better-

1. What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or device? 
  2. How is the printer connected to your computer?
  3. What is the type and size of the paper you are using?

Try the below suggestions-

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor specifically created to help with printer offline conditions.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.
  3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.
    • If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.
  5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

Try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Also, try the steps in the document - Fixing Poor Print Quality

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping 

HP Recommended

I have tries to print from MS Word and Excel with the same results. I am printing to 8-1/2x11 paper. The printer is connected wirelessly.

HP Recommended

After I send the print joib to the printer, it runs for a second then stops and the Attention light is blinking. I remove the paper and replacew it and the job prints.

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me.

Try the steps in the document -An 'Out of Paper' error displays, the printer does not pick paper

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Step 1 and 2

If the paper pick rollers needed cleaning, it would not pick the paper reliably after removing and reinstalling the paper. Also the printer has been doing this since it was new out of the box

step 3

I have reset the printer a few times with the same result.

Step 4

Almost new, so it should be under warranty.

HP Recommended

We can perform a factory defaults on the printer to resolve the issue

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

HP Recommended

I was just on a chat session with an HP technician and could not get the problem resolved, so they are sending me a replacement printer. Thanks for trying, I really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

I am glad the issue is been taken care of.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Please click “Accepted Solution” on my public post if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.