Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a couple of questions related to an HP COlor LaserJet CP1518ni printer (part of the 1510 series).

1)  It only seems to print on one side of the page, even when I select it to print on both sides.

2)  How to get this printer to be a "network" printer.

3)  Most importantly, I can't seem to figure out how to Print in Color. 

I am not as worried about question 1 and 2 at the moment, but I'm most concerned about question #3 and the color.

I am not sure if the PCL or PS driver is installed, and I don't know if that makes a difference or not.  But the name of the Printer when I got to "printers & scanners" is "Hp Color LaserJet CP1510 Series PCL6 Class D river UPD PS.  When I go to Printing Preferences and click the "advanced" tab, I come up with this screen, but can't seem to find a setting to fix the color. 

PhilipBAlt_0-1614480560028.png

If it helps, the printer is connected to the PC via USB cable.

When I go to the Properties screen and the General Tab, I see these settings.

PhilipBAlt_1-1614480762548.png

It seems to suggest that double-sided is enabled, but color is not.  Yet, I am not quite sure how to print automatically on both sides of the paper, but that's a different issue.  I'm not quite sure why the Color option shows "No", and what to do about it.  (It does seem to suggest that the model is HP Universal Printing PS, although I don't know if that is the reason the color option is off).

When I click the Preferences button, I get to the Finishing Tab and see these options. 

PhilipBAlt_2-1614480938021.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I'm trying to troubleshoot computers and printers, and this problem kind of baffles me.  I feel like I either have a wrong driver, or I have a setting wrong, because I know the color cartridges are installed when I print a test page on the printer itself (without relying on the computer).

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@PhilipBAlt

Welcome to the HP support community.

Color printing and printing on both sides can be fixed by updating the printer driver and firmware.

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer-related software.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer universal driver

Click here to download the driver.

Update the printer firmware

Here are the steps:- Click here

Refer page number 23 for the steps to setup network printing:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I do have a question.  Do I need the PCL driver, or the PS driver, or does it really matter?  And can I have both PCL and PS installed at the same time?

I am currently trying it based on the PCL driver with the file name upd-pcl6-x64-6.4.1.22169, and I get this screen.

PhilipBAlt_0-1615265429589.png

Which of these three options should I try to use?  Traditional, Dynamic, or USB mode?  At the moment, I'm not "too" concerned about networking the printer (though I might worry about that later).  I'm more concerned about the printing in color and duplexing.  For the time being, I tried USB mode-plug and play, and also had both of the "sub-options" check marked (remove all verions of HP Universal Printing Driver from Windows driver store and "add HP universal printing PCL 6" driver to Windows driver store, as shown below.

PhilipBAlt_1-1615265703255.png

In any case, I think I may be getting somewhere.  I've printed a couple documents in color.  However, I can't seem to print on both sides yet.  Is there a trick in the driver settings for that, or do I need some type of duplex assembler to make that happen?

Thanks for the help so far, because I at least figured out how to print in color.

HP Recommended

@PhilipBAlt

This might require remote access to the computer to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.