Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Very, very disappointed in the inadequate scanning apps suggested as workarounds to loss of "HP Solution Center" due to Adobe disabling Flash. The key feature I adored in that scanning software was that HPSC allowed automatic identification of multiple photos on the flatbed to individual image files. Neither "HP Scan and Capture" nor "HP Scan Extended" provide this feature, which is (or was) crucial when scanning archived photos: one sweep of the flatbed could individually capture many photos, as many as fit on the screen, identifying each photo by its edges. Losing this cripples using the scanner to archive large photo collections. Deeply, deeply annoyed that HP couldn't be bothered to update HPSC to work around the "flash" issue, which I'm 99% certain has nothing to do with the function of the software.

UPDATE: I stand corrected.  "HP Scan Extended" provides for multiple photo -> multiple image scans.  The trick is to select Page Size "Auto Detect Size"(as a "Save as JPEG" setting option), as well as "Flatbed" source of course.  Still wish HP would repair/update HPSC rather than suggest new software.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I was in the middle of scanning small in size BW pictures from late fifties and early sixties using HP Deskjet F2280 All-in-One. After HP Solution Center stopped working I upgraded (= downgraded) into HP Scanner Extended. I can’t scan at equal quality anymore. With HSC there was an option ‘scan with higher bit depth’ available, not anymore. Although this old scanner seems to be specified for 8 bit BW scanning only it obviously can do better. Larger bit depth available is shown by Photoshop as some operations can’t be done without setting mode to 8 bit. I used to scan at 1200 ppi into tiff, then adjusted levels at PS, cropped, etc., and finally saved out as jpeg into a reasonable file size around 5 Mb. This made perfect pictures in details with near black objects. Now with HSE 1200 ppi or even higher scans are far from previous. With BW pictures higher bit depth makes the difference. I would like to see an upgraded flash-free version of the HSC! Or any other suggestions? I tried VueScan for comparison, but obviously it can’t used this printer’s higher bit depth despite 16 bit can be chosen at the software. With VueScan picture quality was similar to what is achieved using HSE.

HP Recommended

@thomasn528 wrote:

Very, very disappointed in the inadequate scanning apps suggested as workarounds to loss of "HP Solution Center" due to Adobe disabling Flash. The key feature I adored in that scanning software was that HPSC allowed automatic identification of multiple photos on the flatbed to individual image files. Neither "HP Scan and Capture" nor "HP Scan Extended" provide this feature, which is (or was) crucial when scanning archived photos: one sweep of the flatbed could individually capture many photos, as many as fit on the screen, identifying each photo by its edges. Losing this cripples using the scanner to archive large photo collections. Deeply, deeply annoyed that HP couldn't be bothered to update HPSC to work around the "flash" issue, which I'm 99% certain has nothing to do with the function of the software. NomNom

UPDATE: I stand corrected.  "HP Scan Extended" provides for multiple photo -> multiple image scans.  The trick is to select Page Size "Auto Detect Size"(as a "Save as JPEG" setting option), as well as "Flatbed" source of course.  Still wish HP would repair/update HPSC rather than suggest new software.

Support for Flash had ended in December 2020, and that HP Solution Center uses Flash content, and that may be causing that logo to show, if that is the case, check the HP support site for the latest version of that utility to see if they provide an updated version of the utility.

1. Switch on your HP printer.
  2. Disconnect the USB cable from the printer through which the printer connects to the computer system.
  3. Now, visit HP Customer Support- Software and Driver Downloads section.
  4. You will see a “Let's identify your product to get started” page.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.