Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Problem is now fixed.   I tried five fixes suggested in the forum which did not work.  Finally,now that I mentioned that installation failed while the printer was found.    Thanks to JonW  for suggesting a  solution that worked.

Installation never completed for me when  I selected Wired( I reconnected the Ethernet Cable and tried this) or Wireless Connection( disconnected cable and set the correct settings on the device).  The network configuration page prints ok and HP Connected prints okay, just Windows 10 based printing fails.   

JonW solution which is a reply to this message (worked) 

Just Removing all the printer software and reloading it. (No Help.)

Manually installing your printer with the static IP address.  (no Help) 

Running the programs in compatibility mode.   (no Help) 

Updated the driver from Device Manager (will not complete) 

Turning off Firewall and Virus Scan during Installation  (No Help) 

Window Update now shows no errors, but it still never installs.   (No Help)

Adding printer  ports to the pass the firewall.   (No Help.) 

I still find it bad that  there are five different problems and solutions for HP8610 with Windows 10. 

Running the troubleshooter does not find or fix any of these problems.  The troubleshooter needs to be updated. 

It should find solution for the problems solved in the forum.  The troubleshooter suggested things that never helped.

I will give praise to HP Connected, because that is the only way that I have been able to print.    It has worked all the time, while Windows 10 has failed miserally.     HP Connected is doing what I need, but it is convoluted way of printing and requires extra steps. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I think we have seen this problem during testing.

You get a Red X error message during the install, after the Computer has found the Network printer and then it still fails.

Please try these steps and see if they fix the problem.

1. Uninstall the printer software
  2. Reboot the Computer
  3. Find the \System32\spool\drivers\x64 directory and rename the directory named 3
  4. Reinstall the Printer Software
  5. Copy the contents of the Renamed 3 directory to the new directory created in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64 but dont replace any files.

Please come back to me if you have problems or questions.

Thanks

JonW

I work for HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I think we have seen this problem during testing.

You get a Red X error message during the install, after the Computer has found the Network printer and then it still fails.

Please try these steps and see if they fix the problem.

1. Uninstall the printer software
  2. Reboot the Computer
  3. Find the \System32\spool\drivers\x64 directory and rename the directory named 3
  4. Reinstall the Printer Software
  5. Copy the contents of the Renamed 3 directory to the new directory created in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64 but dont replace any files.

Please come back to me if you have problems or questions.

Thanks

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Thank you. 

You recommendation worked.   I can print again without sending to HP Connected.

HP Recommended

This solution worked for me. I was getting frustrated with the WIN10 software since I could use the printer from my MAC, Ipad & IPhone.  Only  had an  issue with WIN10. I even unistalled and reinstalled multiple >3 times to no avail.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I'm still not having any luck getting my 8615 to work under Windows 10 Pro x64.  Found this thread and was very hopeful the procudre would work for me too, but unforutnately I'm still dead in the water.

I have tried about everything you can think of, as documented in this thread:

Officejet-Pro-8615-Won-t-Print-Under-Windows-10

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended
Late response. Did you finda fix?
If not enter a static-IP for your printer...

1. Go to cmd prompt
2. Enter: "ipconfig"
3. Look at the data and find the ipv4 info, the format will look like "192.168.1.5" .
4. Add 40, 50 or 60 to the final number; record this number.
5. At the cmd prompt,
Enter: "ping 192.168.1.55"
6. If message returns as "failed" then record this number, it will be your new "Static IP"
7. Go to the 8610 printer (the machine itself) and scroll thru the IP settings, manually enter the "Static-IP adress" and save it.

Go back to your computer:

8. Go to the control panel, devices/printers.
9. Select find/add printer.
10. Click on "add printer manually"
11. Enter the "Static-IP" address.
12. On the next screen rename the printer accordingly...
13. Install updated driver.
14. Make this your DEFAULT PRINTER!
15. Print test document, not test page.
16. Go back to devices/printers & uninstall the old 8610...

Good luck!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.