Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet pro Mfp m161fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My printer ran a firmware upgrade 3days ago,  now display reads "supply problem".  Can I please have instructions to reset printer. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Had this problem too, did some research and found out that this update excludes third party catridges from use and causes this error message. I still had the original catridges and put them back in and it is working again

HP Recommended

Since I know HP resources monitor this board I would like to ask why in the world would you treat your customers this way and prevent them from using your products unless we pay a ridiculous premium to buy your toner?  Are you really that tone deaf to your customer base?  You have decades long loyalty in most of your customers that you are willing to gamble for something so petty...I am appalled.  In this time of customer experience, it is mind blowing that someone at HP thought this was a good idea for retention.  Obviously, a decision made only to increase the bottom line at the expense of your customers, ones I guess don't care if you keep.

Please don't patronize me that this is for quality of printing and maintenance, as my printer has work flawlessly with 3rd party toner for multiple years.

I would ask HP to provide 1 of three things to all of us.  A new firmware release that removes this draconian limitation so that we can all print and use whatever toner we like, or supply the previous firmware so we can all go back to where we were and print, or try selling your toner at a competitive price.

I look forward to your timely response, and if you cannot help me and the others in the next couple days you have lost another customer for life.

HP Recommended

The solution is to downgrade firmware. 

https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/firmware-update-warning/

Stefan
HP Recommended

any idea how to work it with mac?

HP Recommended

Why I'm unable to install the old firmware?

I execute the .exe file,   a message tell me that the printer has some problems...(ok , I know!!)

it starts, at the end a smile appears on the right, 

but on the printer monitor nothing is changed...

I restart the printer, and the firmware is not changed.....

What is wrong?

HP Recommended

Allow downgrade should be enabled in printer menu... please check

Stefan
HP Recommended

Hi Stefan,

thank you.

"Allow downgrade"  is enabled.

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

In my case i accidentally tried to downgrade the network printer ibstead of the printer (it was listed twice). Tried the other liated mfp 181 and it actually worked

HP Recommended

After receiving help from the business I bought the non-geniune cartridges from,  I am now able to use them. 

On the printer,  go into setup,  service,  restore defaults,  OK.   (wording might be slightly different on your printer.) 

I then ran exe that they sent me - W10 HP_Laserjet_Pro_M180_M181_series_20200612.exe.

Hopefully you can search for the exe online coz I don't know whether I can forward it on. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.