Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8715
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

HP withdrew support a while back for the Officejet Pro 8710 (8715) but up to now its been printing and scanning fine.  Yesterday I tried to run a scan but when I selected the HP Officejet Pro icon from my desktop (which normally opens a pc app where I scan from,  an installation window popped up and I was asked to allow changes to be made.  I was unsure so after completely rebooting my pc etc, I was still getting the same window when I selected the icon. So I went ahead and it appears to be a driver install BUT it wont see the printer on WiFi or ethernet.  Im at a bit of a loss as I scan a lot using OCR.I still print fine but cant scan. Any advice appreciated.,

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@RJWB 

Welcome to the HP Community.

The printer software is maybe "stuck" half way installed or is perhaps not finding the previous connection checkpoint.

Try / Consider

Uninstall the printer software > Restart the computer and log in > Install a fresh copy of the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software.

==============================================================================

The full driver provides the foundation on which other programs and printing software depend.

Preparation

If you have not done so,

In addition to the HP Smart application,

Install the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software for the printer.

HP Smart and other print software / applications benefit from having the full driver installed.

Printer Software Check

Notes

If the full driver printer software is installed, you will see the printer listed in Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features.

The installation of the printer software adds two shortcut icons to the Desktop.

The Printer Assistant is named for the printer and provides access to Print , Scan , and Tools

HP Scan is named for itself and provides a direct call to the HP Scan software.

Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_4Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_4

Next...

Printer software not installed - OR - installed but not working?

NOTE:  If the printer software shows installed but is not working as expected,

Uninstall the printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Restart the computer and log in

Reminder:  If using USB, disconnect the USB printer cable between the printer and the computer before installing software.  (Re)Connect the USB cable when instructed to do so near the end of the installation procedure.

Install a fresh copy of the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

Restart the computer and log in

Method - Use the Easy Start Wrapper to Install the Full Feature / Full Driver Software

For printers that support the option,

Use the Easy Start wrapper to install and configure the printer software.

• Home Page - HP Easy Start 
  • Open Category Software and Drivers 
  • Topic: Software-Utility 
  • Download-and-Save  the current version of the Easy Start wrapper to install your print software 
  • If using USB:  Disconnect the USB cable between the printer and computer before installing the software.
  • Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation
  • When asked, Select to install the “Full Driver” / “Full Feature Software”
  • If using USB:  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (near the end of the installation process).
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

Notes >> Easy Start... The Journey

1. Full Administrator Rights are required to complete the HP Software installation.
  2. About 2/3 of the way through the setup, you will be given the opportunity to select the software - select the "Full Driver" set (as opposed to the basic driver or other application).
  3. You can skip / ignore suggestion(s) that you add the HP Account – you’ll need the account at some point, for now, you can skip this suggestion (as many times as it insists it’s a good idea) during the full driver software installation.
  4. If you see it, you can skip / ignore suggestion(s) regarding Instant Ink subscription.  Instant Ink subscription is NOT mandatory.
  5. Full driver includes print and scan functions supported by your printer and provides the printer features on which other applications / software might depend.

=================================================================================

References / Resources

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

thanks, I will give it a go and let you know

HP Recommended

@RJWB 

You are welcome.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Tried all you suggested, uninstalled, rebooted, downloaded easy start etc, I followed the instructions and chose full download, that went ok,  but it then requested an ethernet link after apparently  telling me which printer I had. Put in a cable, it saw my printer, I selected it, it went away then told me to download the latest version of easy start then told me my browser didn't support easy start, gave me a list of browsers to use including Chrome, which I was  using!! Cancelled the process. Printer is  working on WiFi BUT scan still not working. Back where I started from (it did load I.R.I.S OCR)

HP Recommended

@RJWB 

Edits / Update > Add Static IP setup, TCP/IP and examples

Ethernet connection is not something you add during the installation.

Ethernet is a wired connection between the printer and your router.

If the printer is on your network with a Wired Ethernet connection, the installation might think otherwise, I guess.

So, not sure - doesn't sound right.

Try / Consider:

Open

Printer Turns Off Unexpectedly or Repeatedly

Complete Step 2 - Restart the printer

Next...

Printer might benefit from having a static / manual IP Address assigned.

Assuming the printer is on the network (Ethernet wired is fine),

You can switch the IP address over to an assigned / static IP address.

The normal "should do" setup applies - for example, if you normally use a DHCP range in your router for certain devices (computers), assign the printer outside of that range.

Expect the connection to the printer to drop when you change the address and click Apply

Wait a minute, then open a new EWS connection to the printer using the "new" IP address.

(Also) Assign / set the printer IP address on the router to reduce possible confusion later.

Example - EWS > Network > Wired (802.3) > IPv4 Configuration > IP Address Configuration

EWS_9025_Network_Wired_IPv4_Static-Manual_IP_2EWS_9025_Network_Wired_IPv4_Static-Manual_IP_2

============================================================================

Wireless

Try / Consider

Static IP assignment

AND

Change the Connection type on the computer

Wireless Printing Center – Static IP Address

AND

Wireless Printing Center > Common Questions > Wireless Connection Issues

Method - Create TCP IP port (InkJet Printer)

Find printer's IP /  IPv4 address

Print a Configuration Page

OR

Tap on the wireless icon on Printer Control / Display Panel

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on the printer > Left-Click Printer Properties

Select Tab Ports  > Add Port

Select Standard TCP/IP Port > New Port and follow the wizard.
 Use / Enter IP address for the printer.

Example - How-to “Create TCP Port” Contributed by greenturtle

Video:  Create & Use TCP IP port
“Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port within the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)”

============================================================================

Original Content

Next...

As far as your browser, well, could be something going on there.

We've only heard sporadic reports of software not being found when the Easy Start is surely supported for the device (printer / printer software).

So -- not sure about that either.  

Try Firefox browser or even the old IE (Internet Explorer supported / works to the end of this year AND IE works when mystery downloads are balking).  

The version / link to the Easy Start method I provided is the HOME of Easy Start software - so its version is not going to be outdated.

I think you need to restart Everything, including that router that controls your network.

Try a different browser - I do say Chrome is "bad" - I've just not used it in a long time and cannot judge...

What else?

I suppose it could be "left over" bits of software laying around.

Uninstall the printer software and then check for "pieces" that (still) need to be removed.

After that, try again...

The Detailed Procedure – “All the bits and extra steps”

Use this method when there are problems reinstalling the software.

Start - “All the bits”

Printer Software – Blocked in Security Software

Check your Security Software to make sure the printer software is not being blocked.  Most Security software will allow you to make an exception for applications / software you want to use on your computer.

If you make changes to the security software setup, Restart your computer and log in.

Uninstall Existing Printer Software (Full Feature Software)

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Find / Select > Uninstall the printer software

If software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and it “still hanging around” after you uninstall / Restart...

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

OR

Revo Uninstaller (Free version)

Check and Remove Section

Reminder: After all checks > Restart the computer and log in

Check / Remove - Printer Drivers – Lurking in Devices and Printers

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Left-Click on any unwanted Printer found in the Printers list

(Top Ribbon) Click Print Server Properties > tab Drivers

Select each unwanted entry > Remove > OK to exit menu

Back in Devices and Printers > Right-Click on the printer > Remove Device

Check / Remove – Printer folder/files in C:\ ProgramData

Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\ProgramData > Open folder Hewlett Packard

Delete any Printer related folders / files

Check / Remove - Printer Software – Lurking in the Device Manager

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager

Expand category Printers

If any unwanted printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Expand category Imaging Devices

If any unwanted printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Check / Remove  - Printer Software – Lurking in the User Account

Clear HP / files in Temp folder

Windows key + X + R (Run command) > type %temp%

Delete the files in the Temp folder (Ignore files that cannot be removed)

Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Users\YourAccount\AppData\Local\HP

Remove / Delete any folder named for the printer you wish to remove

Manual Queue Reset

Details…

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services

Scroll down, find, Right-Click, and Stop Print Spooler Service

Open File Explorer (formally Windows Explorer)

Navigate to the folder and Delete the files from folder C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

Back in Services

Start Print Spooler Service

End Check and Remove Section

After all checks are completed > Restart the computer and log in

If you like, time to try another software Installation run...

OR

What else?

Sounds like a bad connection to your network.

After you've tried restarting everything

AND

The printer software is uninstalled,

Check your router logs -- if that printer is not connected or is having odd issues, the router logs might help narrow the cause...

What else?

This is getting old , I know...

IF you have not done so, try loading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Should you be asked, confirm that the issue might be "Offline"...

Open Website

HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

Click the green Download Now option / box

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you again.  In all honesty I really don't understand what has happened here as for the last 6 months I have done nothing to the PC. I have an AV running, Microsoft updates but that's just about all that's in flux so for this to happen suddenly is odd. Having said that I will follow your very precise and helpful directive. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.