Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500 E709a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In the Windows 10 compatibility program, it said that my All-In-One printer (HP Officejet 6500 E709a) was compatable with Windows 10 so I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I can still print but cannot scan.  I tried installing the drivers from this site but no help.  I removed ALL the hp software from my computer and installed the drivers suggested but still no help.  Can someone point me to something that will work?  My HP Officejet 6500 E709a is connected by a CAT 5 network cable to a hub that my computer is connected to.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @deltatrooper,

I see that you are still not able to scan with HP Solution Center on Windows 10.

Were you able to scan from the Windows Fax and Scan software from windows?

Please try the steps listed from @JohnGPB post. Scan Function Lost After Windows 10 Upgrade.

There are more steps for going in and editing the registry to remove and HP printer files.

Note: For other users using a HP computer, don't run the level 4 uninstall, just the level 3 uninstall.

Let me know what the results are. Thank You. :generic:

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi @deltatrooper,

I see that you are experiencing issues scanning with Windows 10. I will certainly do my best to help you.

Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor, it will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it.

Windows 10 has a scan feature built into the OS.  In the "Search the web and Windows" section, type in Scan and select Windows Fax and Scan. Try and scan from there. Let me know the results.

What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor? (did it print or scan, any error messages)

How is the printer connected? (USB/Ethernet/Wireless)

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below.

If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit version that I did the upgrade from WIN7 64-bit.  My printer is connected with a CAT 5 twisted pair network cable.  When I run the print and scan doctor and select FIX PRINTING I get a Driver Check but printing is OK.  I works fine.  When I go a FIX SCANNING it brings up a dialog box that says that the full software solution for my product is not installed and to get the installer.  I select get installer and download what it says to down load, but if/when I restart I keep getting the same message when trying to scan.

If I use Window SCAN, I'm told that there is no scanner connected.

HP Recommended

Hi @deltatrooper,

It doesn't look like the full software is still installing properly. I would do a full uninstall again.

Perform a clean boot on the computer and turn off the Antivirus Software. How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Then download and install the latest drivers. HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver.

If you are still having communication errors, I would try connecting the CAT 5 network cable directly to the router instead of the hub, to see if you still have the same results.

Please let me know the outcome. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I'll do the uninstall from the control panel and uninstall the HP "stuff".  Is there an HP uninstall program that will uninstall HP software?  the OJ 6500 is the only hardware I have installed on this system.  Just wondering.

HP Recommended

Hi @deltatrooper,

You can do a full Level 3 uninstall and reinstall the Full Feature Software and start over.

Disconnect the USB cable. If using the USB connection.

Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%.

• Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted.
  • Download the software and choose to save as, save to desktop.
  • After the software downloads and extracts, open the temp folder again. Close the installation window.
  • Open the folder starting with 7z. (Example: 7zS2356)
  • Open folder Util.
  • Open folder CCC.
  • If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have anon-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe
  • When the uninstall has completed restart the computer.

Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.

Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box.

In the Open box, type msiexec /unregister, and then click OK.

Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box.

In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, then click OK.

Run the Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool. Delete files using Disk Cleanup.

Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player. Adobe Flash Player Support Center.

Perform a clean boot on the computer and turn off the Antivirus Software. How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Then download and install the latest drivers. HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver.

Hope this helps. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Went through all your steps but I still can't SCAN.  I did a level 4 uninstall, because I have a non-HP computer.  The uninstall/install process seemed to work fine.  Printer will PRINT, FAX and COPY, but when I try to SCAN from the Solution Center, I get the message:

The scan cannot be performed because another program or computer is using the networked HP imaging device. Try again later.

The extended error information reads     8, [ (0, 18, -2147467259) ]

When I try to SCAN directly from the printer using the SCAN button, selecting the computer and type of output document, then pressing the START SCAN button, I get the exact same message!

HP Recommended

Hi @deltatrooper,

I see that you are still not able to scan with HP Solution Center on Windows 10.

Were you able to scan from the Windows Fax and Scan software from windows?

Please try the steps listed from @JohnGPB post. Scan Function Lost After Windows 10 Upgrade.

There are more steps for going in and editing the registry to remove and HP printer files.

Note: For other users using a HP computer, don't run the level 4 uninstall, just the level 3 uninstall.

Let me know what the results are. Thank You. :generic:

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I got the Windows Fax and Scan software from windows to work but I didn't see where a .PDF file save option.  I then went to the other suggestion that you pointed me to:

That worked!!  I got the HP Solution Center to work just like it did in Windows 7.  Big thumbs up for you and 2 Big Thumbs up for JohnGPB.

Cant see why HP didn't/can't create/enhance the Level 4 Uninstall Batch file to do all those steps automatically.

HP Recommended

Hi @deltatrooper,

Thank you very much for sharing with us that you were able to finally scan with the HP Solution Center Software. I am really glad that those extra registry steps helped.

{Happy Dance :smileyvery-happy:}

Have a wonderful day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.