Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HPSmart
iOS

I've just now started using the HPSmart app with my Envy 7855 printer. I use a MacBook Pro (macOS Big Sur) and an iPhone 7 Plus (iOS 14.4). I want to let my daughter—who lives about 20 miles away and has no printer—to use my printer with the HPSmart app.

I know she can get the app on her iPhone XR, but I don't know what to tell her beyond that. What information will she need to set up the HPSmart app to work with my Envy 7855 printer? That is, what information will the app ask her for? Does HP have an online tutorial or document that will walk us through this setup? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@E9Luke 

Please use the following Guide for remote

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c03561640

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Banhien, for the prompt reply. I've read the article you pointed me to. As I read it, it seems my other party will need to be physically present in my home (in range of my WiFi network) to set up her phone to work with my printer—yes ... ? That is, she can download the HPSmart app at her home, but to set up a connection to my printer, she'll need to be here at my place. Is that about right?

Another question: Once my daughter has set up the HPSmart app to work with my printer, will she be able to use the app to print from her home ... 20 miles away? Or, to use the app with my printer, must she be within my WiFi's orbit—inside my home, in other words? If that's the case, then the only way she can send a print job from her home is to send it to the printer's email address ... ?

HP Recommended

Never mind. I learned just now that I can't print remotely with the HPSmart app. 

Now, according to the article I linked above,  it seems the app supported remote printing until October 7, 2020. Banhien, can you tell me anything about that event? What happened on that specific date that caused HP to announce that "Remote Printing service in the HP Smart app (iOS) is discontinued as of October 07, 2020"? It just seems weird to a simple user like me.

Also, it seems this announcement was directed specifically to iOS users. So—

• Does remote printing work with Android phones?
  • Does remote printing work with Windows laptops?
  • What about MacOS laptops? 
HP Recommended

Hi E9Luke,

Yes, you can share this Envy 7855 printer with another user who could do remote printing. 

Please refer to support document HP Printers - Print Anywhere with the HP Smart App

You should follow below steps: 

1. You sign in to HP account and claim this printer to your account.

2. Enable Print Anywhere from your own HP Smart app as printer owner. Refer to Step 2 - iOS and Android

3. Share the printer to another user. Refer to Step3 - Share and manage Print Anywhere - Other HP Printers.

You should use the email address which your invited user use it for HP account. 

4. Invited user sign in to his/her HP smart app (iOS), tap ' Add Printer', a remote printer should be shown in the list. Add the printer for remote printing. 

The 'remote printing' support document refers to another solution. 

I am an HP employee
Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hello, Heather_2020, and thank you for the response. I must confess I'm a bit confused. In my most recent post, I cited an article I'd found on the HP Customer Support—Knowledge Base. I took it as authoritative, given its source. I'm going to follow your advice, and I'll let you know how it works out. If everything works out, I'll shout back and mark your answer as the solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.