Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an LaserJet M234 dw that I can't get connected wirelessly.    It has worked in the past but now all of the sudden, not connected.

I am using the HP Smart app for Android.  There are a few areas where the process is unclear.   I have tried several Installation guides but none of them has gotten me to the wireless setup.
This printer only has a small display, not a touchscreen.  It has a Cancel and Information buttons and a much smaller wireless button.  The status shows no wireless connection when I print it out.   I think that it would work if I could just get it into the wireless setup mode which I think is represented by a flashing purple front panel indicator.

Right now, I can't use my printer. PLEASE HELP.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Charlie_Balogh ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you're having trouble connecting your HP LaserJet MFP M234dw printer to your wireless network. Let's go through the steps to reset and reconnect your printer wirelessly.

Steps to Reconnect Your HP LaserJet MFP M234dw to Wi-Fi

Reset Network Settings:

• Make sure the printer is turned on.
  • Press and hold the Wireless button (it looks like a small antenna) and the Cancel button simultaneously for 3 seconds. This should reset the network settings on your printer.

Re-enable Wi-Fi Setup Mode:

• After resetting, press and hold the Wireless button until the wireless light starts blinking. This indicates that the printer is in Wi-Fi setup mode.

Using the HP Smart App:

• Ensure your mobile device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network you want the printer to connect to.
  • Open the HP Smart app on your Android device.
  • Tap the "+" icon to add a new printer.
  • The app should detect your printer if it is in setup mode and within range. Follow the prompts to connect the printer to your Wi-Fi network.

Manual Wireless Setup (if needed):

• If the HP Smart app does not find your printer, you may need to manually enter the wireless setup mode.
  • On your Android device, go to your Wi-Fi settings and look for a network that starts with "HP-Setup". Connect to this network.
  • Open the HP Smart app and try to add the printer again. The app should guide you through connecting the printer to your home Wi-Fi network.

Check Connection Status:

• Once the setup is complete, the wireless light on the printer should stop blinking and stay solid, indicating a successful connection.
  • Print a configuration page from your printer to confirm it is connected to the correct Wi-Fi network. You can do this by pressing the Information button.

Troubleshooting Tips

• Ensure Strong Wi-Fi Signal: Make sure your printer is within range of your Wi-Fi router and there are no physical obstructions or interference.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Ensure your printer firmware is up to date. This can be done through the HP Smart app or by downloading the latest firmware from the HP support website. Update the firmware on an HP printer
  • Restart Devices: Sometimes simply restarting your printer, router, and mobile device can resolve connectivity issues.
  • Check Router Settings: Ensure that your router is set to a 2.4 GHz band, as some printers do not support 5 GHz networks.

Refer to this document: HP LaserJet MFP M234dw Printer User manual

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I have several questions.

In the first step, before pressing the wireless and cancel buttons, what should be the status of the printer?
Any lights on the LCD display?

What color should the status light be?

Should any of the above change after pressing the two buttons simultaneously?

HP Recommended

Hi @Charlie_Balogh,

Thank you for your reply 

HP LaserJet MFP M232-M237 printers - Error codes and blinking lights

I hope this helps. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

The front panel status indicator chart is helpful but it does not answe my questions.  

I asked you specific questions about the before and after status indicators to the steps you provided   Can you provide  those specific answers?

HP Recommended

Hi @Charlie_Balogh ,

Thank you for your response, I appreciate your efforts. As the issue persists, I am sorry to hear that I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.