Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2675
Microsoft Windows 11

I'm using an Inkjet 2675. Relatively new, used about 3 times but not recently.  Upgraded laptop to Windows 11 2 weeks ago. I took ages to get near to connecting (installing) the printer on the laptop. Each attempt got a different result always ending with an error message and no ability to scan (I don't need to print).  Trying to connect wirelessly seems impossible even though that worked using Windows 10. With a USB cable, I have connected - the laptop lists the printer under the Printers section. But if I try to use HP Smart to scan, an error message says the laptop cannot find the software needed. If I use Paint, its says "Unable to retrieve picture from device".
On one of my countless efforts to resolve this, probably while having a pointless chat the the so-called "Assistant", I encountered some text that said that that to scan, you have to have DIM (Digital Image Manager) running. It described where to find it (somewhere in the HP folder) and it said double click on "BIN". But I cannot find DIM (by the acronym or full name)
anywhere.

I did also get "cannot connect to server" when using HP Smart.. No idea which server, it didn't say. I;m running two laptops on the same network and the other one is downloading almost all the time so the internet seems to have been available all the time.
I found a similar question with a possible solution but its for Win 10 and the web page that it supplied a link to doesn't exist so I aborted trying to see if it would help.

So what should I do? Please.

(24 hours trying to fix, no sleep, exhausted and fed up!)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@paulindr 

Welcome to the HP Community.

Printer software rarely, if ever, survives the upheaval caused by changing the version of the Operating System.  "Upgrading" to Windows 11 changes the version of the OS from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

The change is disruptive and some installed software won't tolerate the changes.  It might be necessary to remove and reinstall other software as well.  For example, the "need to reinstall" list might include your Microsoft Office software, Adobe Reader software, other photo editing software, and the HP Smart application.

If you have not done so,

If you are convinced that everything is correct, installed, and "just so",

Restart everything, including your router and other devices on the network.

Windows and Printers love a good Restart ...

What else?

NOTE

Your printer Full Feature Software / full driver printer software installation package is here:

HP DeskJet / Ink Advantage 2600/2675/2676/2677/2678 Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

Start...

Uninstall the printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Restart the computer and log in

Next,

Upgraded computers require that Windows Updates is run, sometimes more than one time.

Check for Windows Updates - complete any updates found

If any updates are installed > Restart the computer and log in

Repeat until "No updates are found"

Next,

Check for "lingering" bits of printer software - if found, remove.

Reminder: After all checks > If any changes are made > Restart the computer and log in

Check and Remove Section

Check / Remove - Printer Drivers – Lurking in Devices and Printers

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Left-Click on any unwanted Printer found in the Printers list

(Top Ribbon) Click Print Server Properties > tab Drivers

Select each unwanted entry > Remove > OK to exit menu

Back in Devices and Printers > Right-Click on the printer > Remove Device

Check / Remove – Printer folder/files in C:\ ProgramData

Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\ProgramData > Open folder Hewlett Packard

Delete any Printer related folders / files

Check / Remove - Printer Software – Lurking in the Device Manager

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager

Expand category Printers

If any unwanted printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Expand category Imaging Devices

Check / Remove  - Printer Software – Lurking in the User Account

Clear HP / files in Temp folder

Windows key + X + R (Run command) > type %temp%

Delete the files in the Temp folder (Ignore files that cannot be removed)

Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Users\YourAccount\AppData\Local\HP

Remove / Delete any folder named for the printer you wish to remove

Manual Queue Reset

Details…

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services

Scroll down, find, Right-Click, and Stop Print Spooler Service

Open File Explorer (formally Windows Explorer)

Navigate to the folder and Delete the files from folder C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

Back in Services 

Start Print Spooler Service

End Check and Remove Section

After all checks are completed > Restart the computer and log in

======================================================

Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

• If using VPN, shut it off to install software
  • Download and Save the Full Feature Software installation package or the Easy Start Software
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Reminder:  If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software.
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • If using Easy Start > When asked, opt for "Full Driver" (exact wording might vary).
  • If using Easy Start > Skip any extra software / offers you do not want (wording varies).
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preparation > Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

========================================================================

References / Resources

Adobe Reader DC – Install Whether You Use It or Not

If you have not done so,

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

HINT:  Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software

NOTE:  Adobe Reader DC software can be installed even if you do not normally open / view / print PDF files directly from the Adobe Reader DC software.

=================================================

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart - Windows >> Remove / Install Steps

Settings > Apps > Apps and Features > scroll down, find, Click on HP Smart > Uninstall > Restart the computer and log in.  A new copy of the application can be downloaded / installed from the Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

OR

Open the Homepage / Support Website for your printer

Category Software and Drivers > Check the Box Get the App

Open and Read >>> HP printer setup (HP Smart app)

NOTES: 

• Disconnect from Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection before downloading.
  • Turn on Wi-Fi on your computer or mobile device and connect to your network. If the computer is connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, temporarily disconnect the cable and use the Wi-Fi connection during the setup.

• HP Smart requires that you sign into the application using your HP Account credentials.

• Where possible, HP Smart benefits (likes) having the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software installed.  For example, full driver provides access to Shortcuts and Printing Preferences.

• Document includes the HP Smart application download links for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues.
    •  FAQ examples: 
      • What are the requirements to use the HP Smart app?
      • Which printers are compatible with the HP Smart app?
      • Why do I need to sign in or create an account to use the HP Smart app features?
      • Which languages does the HP Smart app support?
    • Older versions of the HP Smart app no longer support the required login feature.
    • Update the application to the latest version to access / use HP Smart

===================================================

HP Printer Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 2675 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thanks!

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@paulindr 

Welcome to the HP Community.

Printer software rarely, if ever, survives the upheaval caused by changing the version of the Operating System.  "Upgrading" to Windows 11 changes the version of the OS from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

The change is disruptive and some installed software won't tolerate the changes.  It might be necessary to remove and reinstall other software as well.  For example, the "need to reinstall" list might include your Microsoft Office software, Adobe Reader software, other photo editing software, and the HP Smart application.

If you have not done so,

If you are convinced that everything is correct, installed, and "just so",

Restart everything, including your router and other devices on the network.

Windows and Printers love a good Restart ...

What else?

NOTE

Your printer Full Feature Software / full driver printer software installation package is here:

HP DeskJet / Ink Advantage 2600/2675/2676/2677/2678 Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

Start...

Uninstall the printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Restart the computer and log in

Next,

Upgraded computers require that Windows Updates is run, sometimes more than one time.

Check for Windows Updates - complete any updates found

If any updates are installed > Restart the computer and log in

Repeat until "No updates are found"

Next,

Check for "lingering" bits of printer software - if found, remove.

Reminder: After all checks > If any changes are made > Restart the computer and log in

Check and Remove Section

Check / Remove - Printer Drivers – Lurking in Devices and Printers

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Left-Click on any unwanted Printer found in the Printers list

(Top Ribbon) Click Print Server Properties > tab Drivers

Select each unwanted entry > Remove > OK to exit menu

Back in Devices and Printers > Right-Click on the printer > Remove Device

Check / Remove – Printer folder/files in C:\ ProgramData

Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\ProgramData > Open folder Hewlett Packard

Delete any Printer related folders / files

Check / Remove - Printer Software – Lurking in the Device Manager

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager

Expand category Printers

Expand category Imaging Devices

Check / Remove  - Printer Software – Lurking in the User Account

Clear HP / files in Temp folder

Windows key + X + R (Run command) > type %temp%

Delete the files in the Temp folder (Ignore files that cannot be removed)

Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Users\YourAccount\AppData\Local\HP

Remove / Delete any folder named for the printer you wish to remove

Manual Queue Reset

Details…

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services

Scroll down, find, Right-Click, and Stop Print Spooler Service

Open File Explorer (formally Windows Explorer)

Navigate to the folder and Delete the files from folder C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

Back in Services 

Start Print Spooler Service

End Check and Remove Section

After all checks are completed > Restart the computer and log in

Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

• If using VPN, shut it off to install software
  • Download and Save the Full Feature Software installation package or the Easy Start Software
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Reminder:  If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software.
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • If using Easy Start > When asked, opt for "Full Driver" (exact wording might vary).
  • If using Easy Start > Skip any extra software / offers you do not want (wording varies).
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

Preparation > Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

========================================================================

References / Resources

Adobe Reader DC – Install Whether You Use It or Not

If you have not done so,

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

HINT:  Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software

NOTE:  Adobe Reader DC software can be installed even if you do not normally open / view / print PDF files directly from the Adobe Reader DC software.

=================================================

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart - Windows >> Remove / Install Steps

Settings > Apps > Apps and Features > scroll down, find, Click on HP Smart > Uninstall > Restart the computer and log in.  A new copy of the application can be downloaded / installed from the Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store).

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

OR

Open the Homepage / Support Website for your printer

Category Software and Drivers > Check the Box Get the App

Open and Read >>> HP printer setup (HP Smart app)

NOTES: 

• Disconnect from Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection before downloading.
  • Turn on Wi-Fi on your computer or mobile device and connect to your network. If the computer is connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, temporarily disconnect the cable and use the Wi-Fi connection during the setup.

• HP Smart requires that you sign into the application using your HP Account credentials.

• Where possible, HP Smart benefits (likes) having the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software installed.  For example, full driver provides access to Shortcuts and Printing Preferences.

• Document includes the HP Smart application download links for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues.
    •  FAQ examples: 
      • What are the requirements to use the HP Smart app?
      • Which printers are compatible with the HP Smart app?
      • Why do I need to sign in or create an account to use the HP Smart app features?
      • Which languages does the HP Smart app support?
    • Older versions of the HP Smart app no longer support the required login feature.
    • Update the application to the latest version to access / use HP Smart

===================================================

HP Printer Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 2675 All-in-One Printer 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur

Many many thanks for a very swift but incredibly complete answer. My printer is now working.

For the record, the HP Help pages (web) do mention deleting any past installation of printer software before re-installing, as I'm certain you know. However, what the HP Help pages do NOT do is clearly explain ALL of the installation's places where it lies in hiding, waiting to interfere. If only the web pages had been as helpful as you, i would never have had to ask for help (and wasted my time for so long before asking!). But, in the end, I'm glad I did ask because I think your answer is about as complete as could be, so it's well worth copying and keeping, which I'll do.

Thank you for you expertise, time and consideration. It's much appreciated.

HP Recommended

@paulindr 

You are welcome.

I have oft times been accused of loving words too much and over explaining.

Smiling.

Happy Printing!

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.