Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thanks, but I tried 2 different cables, both short, and then also got a brand new short cable; no effect.  Also tried a system reset, didn't work.  dead in the water.  problem remains:  computer doesn't seem top recognize that a printer is attached.  can't find it.  have tried different ports, every suggestion has failed.

HP Recommended

Thanks, good idea, I tried it but it didn't work either.  In my computer it said system "reset", I assume it's the same thing.  Took like an hour.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions, but I am way past this.  I supposedly have a "ticket" from HP but no one has contacted me by phone or email, hopefully to get online with them and let them remote access my computer to see if they can solve it.  I've tried 3 usb cables (1 new), all short; different usb ports (2.0 and 3.0); original disc that came with printer (I get messages that it won't work with my 64 bit Windows 10); Print and Scan doctor; removing and adding software and printer; and system reset.  There are no errors on printer window.  Printer will print normally from photo SD card, and prints normal alignment page.  Basically the problem is, computer doesn't see the printer.  It can't find it.  It is not a power issue, or a cable connection issue.  When I plug in printer, I get "musical notes" from computer, indicating that I've plugged in some hardware, but I get no message window about it.  I've tried reinstalling the drivers.  I can't vouch that I've done everything correctly, but I've now spent at least 6 hours on this, there has to be an answer.  I even tried new, genuine HP ink cartridges.

HP Recommended

@Dr-Dave-77

Did you try installing the Windows built-in driver? or Using HP Smart app?

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did manage to solve this in the end. I can't provide  exact steps, but first I removed the references to this printer from the registry.

Then, in device manager, I uninstalled all references to the printer in each of the sections it was listed in. I don't still have it to hand so I can't say which sections it was listed in, but check them all, it was in more than I expected it to be in. Make sure that when you uninstall you choose to remove drivers. It was in printers, print queues and a couple of others. 

You need to remove them all, and remove drivers. Then when I rebooted and plugged the printer back in it was picked up and installed properly.

Nothing else worked.

HP Recommended

Could you please list all the steps you followed? (the registry scares a lot of  us) This extra effort on you part will help a bunch of us who are going crazy with this problem.  thanks. Of course,  HP should do a better job of giving us clear instructions. but, oh well. Come on Kumar. help us out and you'll get your kudos!

HP Recommended

If the person who solved the problem with HP Photosmart 8150, please, please give the instructions on how you accomplish this. 

HP Recommended

I'm afraid I can't list all the steps I went through as i didn't document them at the time. 

First, ignore the registry. Don't make changes there without knowing what you're doing.  In hindsight i'm not sure that the changes I made in the registry were the important steps to fixing the problem. I don't want to be responsible for anyone making changes in the registry.

Concentrate on device manager. Open each section in turn and if you see any entry to do with the HP printer, right click and uninstall it, making sure you DO put a tick in the box if asked if you want to remove drivers. When you are sure that there are no more entries related to the HP printer, reboot and then plug in the printer to see if it is recognised and installed.

The important thing is to make sure you've got all occurrences and removed them, and the associated drivers. The printer appeared in more sections than you'd expect it to. If anyone can list the sections it appears in here when this problem is encountered that would help. I no longer have the issue and do not recall exactly where it appears in Device Manager when the problem is happening.

HP Recommended

@americamba

I have brought this issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. We would like to research on the same and get back to you once we get some updates.

Thank you.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Please keep me posted.  I have connected the printer to an old PC running Windows XP and was able to print just fine, so I know that the problem is not with the printer or the cable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.