Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP PSC 750
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a new Windows 10 64-bit laptop to replace my Windows 7 laptop. I tried to get drivers for my HP Printer/Scanner/Copier (PSC) 750. HP no longer supports this produce, so they no longer carry drivers on their website. Being a very untrusting person, I did not want to go to a 3rd party site for drivers. I followed the procedure at https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879, but there was no driver for PSC 750. The process at https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/HP-PSC-750-and-Windows-10/td-p/6127167 is similar, but it says to use HP Deskjet 990c if there is no PSC 750 driver. Unfortunately, I see no Deskjet 990c either.

From where else can one get an HP PSC 750 for Windows 10 64-bit and still not worry about its authenticity?

Would it be sufficient for someone to post some kind of hash signature of the authentic driver, if it is corroborated by a second person?

Possible solution

I looked at Software and drivers for HP Universal Print Driver for Windows, which is not product-specific.

The two sane looking candidates are listed below. I'm wondering which would be best to try first, and whether it can be undone if it is the wrong one?

First candidate universal driver

Driver-USB (1)

HP LaserJet USB (DOT4) communication driver for Windows 8 and Higher (64-bit)

This driver only solution provides DOT4 USB bi-directional communication functionality on Windows 8 and higher operating systems.

Second candidate universal driver

Software-Universal Print Driver (1)

HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit

The HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit (PARK) is a collection of tools, scripts and documentation to help print administrators install, deploy, configure and manage the HP Universal Print Driver. The PARK contains both supported and unsupported software tools, scripts and documentation. Supported tools include:

HP Driver Configuration Utility

HP Driver Deployment Utility

HP Managed Printing Administrator

HP UPD Active Directory Administrative template

AutoUpgradeUPD

PRNCon

Using the "First candidate universal driver" [Driver-USB (1)], I was able to print a test page. Unfortunately, I cannot scan. I will see if I can find anything helpful in the Second candidate universal driver [Software-Universal Print Driver (1)]

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

A printer driver for your printer is available via Microsoft Update and you don't need to download and install any driver.

Please follow below steps to install and use your printer on a Windows 10 PC:

https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c01796879

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi, ,

I already visited that site.  It's one of the links in my original post.

HP Recommended

Using the "First candidate universal driver" [Driver-USB (1)], I was able to print a test page. Unfortunately, I cannot scan. I checked the Second candidate universal driver [Software-Universal Print Driver (1)], but found no sign of support for scan functionality. I will have to buy a new printer/scanner/copier, as I do not have room for a separate scanner in addition to the current PSC 750 (effectively now a printer).  Nothing also comes up on a web search for HP universal driver and scanning.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information, please hold on prior to buying a new printer, I believe we may try some other things first!

Regarding the UPD driver, as this is a PCL 3 driver the UPD would not be applicable in any way, please remove any instance of the added UPD printer from Devices and Printers as following:

1. Open the Control Panel and select Devices and Printers.
  2. Remove any listed HP printer by right-clicking it and selecting Remove Device.
  3. Right-click the Start menu and select Run, the Run dialog appears.
  4. Type services.msc and press OK
  5. Locate and select the Print Spooler Service, then click the Restart option and close this window.
  6. Right-click the Start menu and select Run, the Run dialog appears.
  7. Type printui /s /t2 and press OK
  8. Select any listed HP printer and click on Remove, then select Remove driver and driver package and confirm any prompt, then close this window.
  9. Click Add Printer and then click on The printer that I want isn't listed.
  10. Select the last option to install a local printer or a network printer with a manual setup.
  11. Keep the selected LPT1 port and press Next, leave this window open as we will get back to it shortly
  12. Download and extract below drivers from Microsoft, use any un-archiver such as WINRAR or 7-ZIP to extract it to a folder on your desktop:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2009/07/4188_bacd1413e93b4a6362d9a2c...
  13. Return to the Add printer wizard (The control panel icon in the taskbar)
  14. Click Have Disk and browse to the folder extracted in step 12.
  15. Select the HP PSC 750 printer and complete the add printer wizard.

Do not try printing to the added queue, but connect the printer now and a second queue should be now added and should allow printing and scanning.

Try printing and scanning using the Windows Fax and Scan program: Search Windows for fax to open the desktop app, and then click New Scan.

Please let me know how it goes,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Thanks, ShlomiL.  I just posted about Windows 8 drivers that I found:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Risk-to-Windows-10-of-installing-Window-8...

Do you think that I should try that first, or the fulsome procedure that you kindly took the time to provide?

HP Recommended

I used 7zip to list the contents of the *.cab download, but there was nothing for HPPSC750 (or anything that might be for the PSC 750, based on a search for the string "750").  Is this the right way to check for the presence of the driver in the *.cab file?

HP Recommended

Based on a Stack Exchange suggestion, under Windows Updates, Advanced options, I enabled "Receive updates for other Microsoft products...", then initiated an update. I then disconnected the PSC 750 from the USB port and reconnected. The laptop detected, identified, and set up the printer and scanner. I can choose either function. I'm just not sure what all gets updated from enabling "Receive updates for other Microsoft products...". Not sure if I should leave it enabled.

I'd still be interested in whether listing the *.cab files is the right way to recognize the right driver.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Please use the link I included in my previous post, I have tested it prior to posting and it works.

Once extracting that file, open the extracted folder and simply copy the main folder path where it is extracted, you do not need to explore any subfolder:

1.JPG

From the Browse button during the Add Printer wizard, paste this path and press Open, the required INF will be selected automatically then.

Once pressing the OK button, a printers list with the PSC 750 among them now appears, select it and complete the wizard.

2.JPG

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Hi, ShlomiL,

Thanks for taking the time to further explain, and to provide images.  I followed your previous procedure and saw the HP PSC 750 drivers.  I didn't complete the procedure because, as I mentioned, the problem was solved.

What I would like to do is mark the answer as helpful, but I am sorry that I can't rightfully mark it as the answer without having gone through the process to see if there are any issues to report.  However, I've seen this problem a lot online, so I hope that others will mark it as the answer if they find that it works.

To those users: if you find that ShlomiL's answer helped, please mark it as the answer.

Based on the fact that the right drivers were available on the list, it seems that the answer to my last question is that listing the *.cab contents using 7z will not reveal whether drivers for certain devices are available.

I also noticed that many files are in an Amd64 folder.  Since my laptop uses Intel rather than AMD, would this be a problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.