Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M15w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There are already multiple posts about similar problems with Windows 10 update: when one is trying to install a new Feature Update, Windows Update throws an error: "A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we’re trying to install".

In my case a guilty driver is: Hewlett-Packard - USB - 6/1/2018 12:00:00 AM - 46.2.2631.18152.

Nevertheless, Windows Update claims that the driver was:
Successfully installed on ‎4.‎3.‎2021
Successfully installed on ‎3.‎3.‎2021
Successfully installed on ‎2.‎3.‎2021
Successfully installed on ‎1.‎3.‎2021
Successfully installed on ‎28.‎2.‎2021
etc.

II have studied many forums, if you sum up the answers, then it looks like this: "Windows Update" blames "HP driver" and  "HP driver" blames "Windows Update".

Am I correct that Windows does not have the latest driver from HP, which I've installed manually with HP software?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
Hi,
Try following below steps to resolve such an error, by removing the unknown device from the Printers list in Device Manager.
  1. Search Windows for device manager, then click Device Manager in the list of results.
  2. Click Printers.
  3. Right-click Unknown device, then select Uninstall to remove it.
  4. Click Retry in the Windows Update and check for any difference.

Reference: https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c05214529

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for the answer. Unfortunately there are no Unknown devices under Device Manager, and only one printer (I guess a correct one for LaserJet Pro M15w?)

printers.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.