Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2300 all-in-one
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi, I am facing difficulties in setting up my newly bought printer (HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2336) to my

macbook pro via USB connection, it keeps showing that the printer is not connected to the printer and the status remained Idle. May I know how can this problem be fixed? Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @yeeshing,

I'd like to help!

To better assist-

1.) Is there an antivirus software installed on your Mac? If yes, please try disabling it and check if it works.

2.) Are you using a USB hub?

While you respond to that, go to System Information to check the if the USB is detected or not - 

a.) From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.

b.) Click System Report.

c.) Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB. USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus.

If the device is not detected, it may not be receiving enough power or it may be blocked by internet security software. You may also try other ports on the hub or a different cable

You may refer to -USB Printer Setup (Mac)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I have been facing the same issues, asking to hp support yet not working. I guess hp still doesn't provide proper mac driver for 2336. It's detected in easy setup but not with hp smart.

I found temporary WORKING solution. Install hp driver from apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

direct link: https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2019/cert/041-88763-20191011-6e70f498-9d39-420c-b11b-b252b17233e2/Hewl...

Install printer through printer and scanners preference pane, add printer, select other driver and I choose HP 2540 all in one driver. It can print yet scanner is not detected. At least the printer is usable on Mac. Queueing quiet slow though.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 08.43.55.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.