Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HO Officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an OfficeJet 5740 all in one and when I tried to instal it earlier today - since it did not print anymore, it tells me that the drivers are unavailable. I have already tried ALL SOLUTIONS out there: went into the Administrator, uninstalled everything and installed again, run the command cleaning thing, ... NOTHING.

The printer is seen by the laptop, wirelessly, but does not print.

I tried to download only the drivers, then whole package, the HP Doctor, NOTHING. I have been here for about 10 hours trying all sorts.

Again, NOTHING!

I can print from the phone and from the Chromebook, but not from the Win10.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @mtomat,

I'd like to help!

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
    • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
    • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
    • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
    • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
    • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
    • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
    • Again, go running window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
    • Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
    • Now restart your computer again.
    • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
    • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
    • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
    • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well
    • Windows image acquisition stop and restart the service

Install all the available Windows updates

If it is been a while since you updated your Windows, that is the main reason why Windows says your HP printer driver is unavailable. Here are the steps on how to do a Windows Update to install all accessible operating system update.

If you are accessing Windows 10, then these steps are for you.

1. Hit the Start menu and write an update. After that, click on the “Check for updates” option.
  2. Tap on the “Check for updates” option.
  3. After clicking on that option, Windows will install the updates automatically.
  4. When Windows completes all its updates, start your computer again and attempt to print a file to check if your printer works.

Reinstall the drivers from the software and drivers page

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

thank you for your reply, but it did not work. 

I followed the procedure precisely, but nope... it still tells me that it cannot install the drivers and hence the installation will be reverted / deleted.

I updated to the latest Window 10, deleted all files and folders, all printers, etc... but it still does not work.

The laptop sees the printer, but cannot print. Hence, any document I need to print has now to be saved as a pdf online and then printed either via phone or my Chromebook, which is bizarre, since all of us are in the same room!

Any other idea?!

Matilde

HP Recommended

Install the printer using windows driver and then try and print.

For instructions, refer -Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Thank you,

but if you read my v first message you would see that I tried everything suggested online before: including downloading and trying to instal the drivers from Windows itself. Control Panel tells me always that the drivers are unavailable.

Really, I have tried everything and nothing works. The laptop sees the printer, but does not instal the drivers and hence does not print.

Matilde

HP Recommended

Try installing HP Smart and then try printing

Refer - Install and Use the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Jay,

thank you. But it still does not work.

I have tried the Doctor and the Smart and the drivers directly from Windows but I can still print from the phone and the Chromebook but not from the Win 10 laptop.

And we are all in the same room as the router and the printer.

I am now close to tears.

It has been about a week of uninstalling and installing and deleting and trying and nothing works.

Matilde

HP Recommended

I would like to join in and agree with Matilde as I am having the same issue on my Lenovo Laptop for days now. The device can see my printer and also is printing certain pages like sending a code but in printer settings it always shows "Driver is unavailable", I am using HP DeskJet 2600 series and also have tried all possible steps several times. In the HP Smart App it also states that everything is up to date. It worked fine before last update Windows 10, Version 1909 update from 14th October, OS Build 18363.1139. All updates in Windows 10 under Update & Security are on latest versions.

HP Recommended

I am sorry you are experiencing the same issues, but somehow I feel heard and seen.

So, thank you for taking the time and replying to this thread!

Now, let's all hope for a solution!

Matilde

HP Recommended

Dorathea (and Jay)

I think I have found a solution... I think...

If I go into WIN setting (forgetting all the HP software...) and look for its troubleshoot there, there is a link from the printer's page to a generic troubleshoot which will then lead you to the printer / printing troubleshoot.

I run that and asked it to see the printer (it didn't), then I inserted the details manually (!) and clicked use the installed drivers / recommended... the printed did not work.

THEN I tried again but instead of the installed / recommended drivers I told it to look for the "other" drivers, i.e. HP and WIN created a Copy 1 of the printer and now... albeit v slowly, it actually prints!

Please, let me know if this works for you,

Matilde

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.