Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: HP Officejet 4500 wireless printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get fatal error "F drive" during installation of HP Officejet 4500 wireless printer

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Baxi46, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

This error is something to do with the driver partition on your computer. Check the F drive for its functionality.

Search for 'My PC' on your computer and check the drives.

You may change the installation folder during installation to a different driver and check if that helps.

Click here to download the HP Full-feature driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Kumar for the suggestions. I have tried 100s of times what u said. When I connect external cd player as drive F, then I get ERROR msg that "C" drive have bad sector or file. And I can not proceed with installation of the printer.

This has happened since Windows 10 update.

I even can't uninstall HP SOLUTION CENTER 14.0

Any more suggestions please.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Baxi46

In this case, install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

Refer to this document HP printer setup (Windows built-in driver) for help.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar. My 4500 printer does print BUT does not scan. I am very sorry for giving wrong info in first place. I have tried your last suggestions but no luck. Funny enough, yesterday I had a call from my friend and he has the same issue started only yesterday.

Any more suggestions. When I try to add the printer in Windows 10, give me option  for HPECG618F ( HP Officejet 4500 G510n-z printer. The particulars in the bracket is correct but HPECG618F no idea. I think Microsoft has cocked it up. So if you guys have communication with Microsoft, might be able to communicate and sort it out. As u know Microsoft open the case and close it after few days without responding. I have tried that also.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Baxi46

Use a compatible scanning app to scan.

• HP Scan and Capture app: Use this free app available from the Microsoft Store to scan photos or documents.

Go to Installing and Using HP Scan and Capture (Windows 10) for more information.

• Windows Scan app: Use this Windows app to scan from most HP all-in-one printers.

Search Windows for Scan, and then click the Scan app  in the list of results.

• Windows Fax and Scan: Use this pre-installed tool to scan photos and documents.

Search Windows for fax, click Windows Fax and Scan in the list of results, and then click New Scan.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.